Review of Musical: “Hairspray”

Sofia Georgaklis, Sports Writing Editor

PHOTO BY SAM KLEIN
PHOTO BY SAM KLEIN

By Sofia Georgaklis

The Roberts-Dubbs Auditorium was bustling with anticipation and excitement as it filled at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 4 for the debut showing of “Hairspray.” Directed and choreographed by S. Christien Polos, the lively performance was the perfect way to celebrate the end of stressful midyear exams.

The bright and energetic story of “Hairspray” is not only engaging but enlightening as well. The musical is set in Baltimore in the year 1962, and the vibrant set and variegated costumes transport the audience to the transforming and turbulent ’60s.

Big-haired Tracy Turnblad (junior Talia Roland-Kalb) and her best friend Penny Pingleton (senior Clara Marton) are Corny Collins Show enthusiasts who are ecstatic when presented with the opportunity to fulfill their dreams and become a part of the cast.

With the help of her new acquaintance, Seaweed J. Stubbs (senior Dawaun Hardy), Tracy makes it onto the show, thrilling not only herself but also her mother (senior Dillon McGuire) and father (sophomore Henry Morehouse).

PHOTO BY SAM KLEIN
PHOTO BY SAM KLEIN

The admittance of Tracy onto the Corny Collins Show, however, creates quite a controversy. Tracy begins to raise attention to the issue of racism and civil rights, supporting integration of the Corny Collins Show, stating that “every day should be negro day.” To make matters worse, Tracy begins to catch the interest of her longtime crush, Link Larkin (junior Arthur Chen), infuriating his girlfriend Amber Von Tussle (junior Sophie Brown) and Amber’s mother (sophomore Elena Usui).

The brilliant cast of “Hairspray” kept its audience entertained and captivated with the show’s fast-paced plot, bouncy and tuneful music and flawlessly executed acting. The musical will keep you on the edge of your seat with an enthralling story line about tolerance, integration and acceptance of others.

Sofia Georgaklis can be contacted at [email protected]

PHOTO BY SAM KLEIN
PHOTO BY SAM KLEIN