New squash team gains popularity for various reasons

Ben Mandl, Staff Writer

The player steps onto the court. It’s just him and his opponent. They both face the wall as the player serves, tossing the ball up and hitting it into the wall, making sure that the ball goes above the service line and the player stays in the box. His opponent slams the ball back against the wall. This continues until it bounces twice on the ground. This is the game of squash.

Students think that the most popular sports at the high school are football, soccer or maybe basketball. However, the popularity of squash is on the rise and has accumulated over 50 players in the span of this school year.

Sophomore Ben Moyer, a player on the intermediate squash team, said that he thinks that squash is popular because the skills learned from it can help in other sports.

“A lot of people do it because of conditioning and to get fit,” Moyer said. “It helps with speed, stamina and agility, which are all important in almost every sport.”

Sophomore Mitchell Schroeder, a player on the advanced squash team, said that he uses to squash to help him specifically in baseball.

“I joined for the athletic side,” Schroeder said. “I’m trying to get more speed and agility for baseball and I felt like squash was a great way to do that.”

However, Schroeder also said that he thinks that some people just want to do a winter sport and make new friends.  

“Not only do kids get a sports credit, but it gives them an opportunity to get in some action and explore their athletic capabilities,” Schroeder said. “Also, it’s a great way to meet new people.”

Steve Lantos, chemistry teacher and squash team coach, said that he thinks squash is popular because it is a lifetime sport.

“Almost anybody can learn the game of squash and play at any level,” Lantos said. “I’ve seen 70 and 80-year-old players who have played the game for decades annihilate younger players.”

Lantos said that he grew to love the sport from a young age, when he began playing with one of his friends.

“He stuck me on the court,” Lantos said. “[He] put a racket in my hand and said ‘Hey Steve, I think you’ll really like this game.’”