Rory Redgrave

February 2, 2016

Senior Rory Redgrave was dress-coded at a concert choir performance for elementary-aged children. According to Redgrave, they were walking out of a room and their teacher motioned for them to pull up their shirt. Redgrave also said that they have been dress coded more than once. Redgrave responded to questions on the topic of dress code below.

Senior Rory Redgrave pictured wearing the outfit she was dress-coded in at a concert choir. Regrave said she knowingly dresses the way she does and feels comfortable in her wardrobe.
Sara Hogenboom / Sagamore staff
Senior Rory Redgrave pictured wearing the outfit they were dress-coded in at a concert choir. Regrave said they knowingly dress the way they do and they feel comfortable in their wardrobe.

Q: How did the dress-coding incident make you feel?

A: It sort of just felt like I wasn’t aware of how I looked so he was helping me figure it out. I know how I look. I dress the way I do on purpose.

Q: What do you think of the dress expectations at the high school?

A: We don’t have a specific  dress code [at the high school]. This is one of the biggest problems because it’s open for teachers’ interpretation. I don’t think there should be any type of dress code. I think mindful dressing is different than having a dress code. Mindful dressing is important. It means people learning how to dress for themselves and not other people. It doesn’t dictate what you wear; it just dictates why you wear it. You can come to school in a T-shirt and baggy sweatpants and be fine, but that’s not professional. I’ll dress professionally for school when I’m being paid and hired to be here. The way my body looks has nothing to do with how professional or how serious I should be taken.