Meyer chosen as Interim Headmaster

The Headmaster Search is over! Anthony Meyer was named permanent headmaster effective immediately on Jan. 10 at a faculty meeting.

Brookline Public Schools

Louie Goldsmith, Opinions Editor

Interim Superintendent Dr. Joseph Connelly and Incoming Superintendent Andrew Bott announced at a meeting on the morning of Thursday, June 9 that Dean Anthony Meyer will serve as Interim Headmaster during the 2016-17 school year. Meyer will not be a candidate during the search for a permanent Headmaster that will also occur next year.

The meeting held in the MLK room was attended by approximately 100 teachers and staff, who rose in a round of applause when Connelly announced Meyer as the choice to lead the high school next year. Meyer will take over the position on July 1.

After being introduced by Connelly, Meyer spoke about his priorities for the upcoming school year. Meyer said he wants to help steady the ship and ensure that the high school picks the “best longterm leader” during its Headmaster search next year. Meyer received applause when he said he wants to recreate a “fun, trusting, supportive faculty and school culture” at the high school.

Among Meyer’s other priorities are hiring a new Dean of Students to fill his role and a new Director of Special Education. Meyer also said he wants to make the upcoming high school renovation a priority.

Meyer was chosen as Interim Headmaster after Headmaster Deborah Holman announced her resignation earlier this week.