JOSH FLEISHMAN / SAGAMORE STAFF

Kathleen Bernier

Originally from Maine, Kathleen Bernier works in Rise, a special education program for students on the autism spectrum.  She has previously taught students, but has never been in a real teaching position before.  She enjoys “nerdy stuff” and working out with her friends.

What do you like about teaching at a High School?

I like interacting with students at this age, particularly because you can make the biggest difference in their lives at this point. You can be more real with them,  really show who you are and get to know who they are.

What are some of your hobbies outside of teaching?

When I was in high school I did musicals and I also took dance lessons outside of school.  Right now I like to read a lot, for fun mostly.  I like to go workout with my friends and I like to try different places to eat around the city.

What do you think of Brookline so far?

I really like it. The community here is awesome and everyone is really supportive of one another.  I just think it is a great place to be. It’s so close to the city but also separated a little bit.

Is Brookline a lot different from where you went to high school?

Coming from Maine, we were a really small town in a rural area.  We couldn’t leave school at all during the day at all.  We couldn’t go outside the school without getting some kind of permission, so it was very different in that sense.  In another sense, it was very much the same. Three towns combined to form it so we had a really big school space with a lot of students and that is the same with Brookline High School.