BECKY PERELMAN / SAGAMORE STAFF

Thato Mwosa

Thato Mwosa teaches Digital Video, Documentary and Film History, and TV Production. Mwosa previously worked at Boston Public Schools for seven years. She is from Botswana, Africa and graduated from Emerson College.

What was something interesting you did this summer?

My husband and I first went to Kenya, with our family. We did safaris, went to the Giraffe Centre, and also went to the coast in Malindi where we got to ride on camels by the beach. It was nice and exciting, especially for [our] kids because they didn’t remember our previous time in Africa. After Kenya, we went to South Africa. In South Africa we went to a lion park where we could see and pet lion cubs. We did this trip for our kids, so that they know where we’re from.

What got you interested in film?

I’ve always been a storyteller. My dad was a journalist and I think it started from him. I used to read his column, and he published two books, so I was just fascinated. When I went to college, I wanted to be just like him but I chose to go with a new medium; instead of using print, which is real journalism, I wanted to do broadcasting.

What is one thing you always remember when you’re in a classroom?

I always remember to pay attention to how engaged some of the kids are because sometimes when you’re teaching, you can lose a kid, so I always try to keep my lessons interesting and to make sure that everyone is engaged.  I also remember to look around the classroom and I make sure that I can choose the mood of the classroom, if there’s a dip as I’m giving a lesson, then I have to change it up, make it fun, make it interesting.

What’s something a student can do to make your day?

If I hear students saying, ‘I enjoy your class and I’m learning a lot,’ that makes my day because that’s the reason I’m here. I’m here to teach, and I want to make sure that students are taking in whatever I’m giving them, and I think that’s all I ask for: Are you learning? Are you enjoying? So, if you are, that makes me happy.