Megan Brady

Megan Brady is a paraprofessional who started teaching this year. In addition to teaching, she enjoys running and teaching yoga and swimming. She ran the Boston Marathon and wants to continue to run more marathons and a half ironman in her future. She has been doing yoga since college and just started teaching this year. She grew up in Peabody, Mass., but chose to work in Brookline because she likes the school system. Before she was a teacher, she worked as a nanny.

What did you do this summer?

This summer I was nannying for a family in Osterville, down in Cape Cod. 

What is your favorite thing about the high school so far?

I like how progressive it is here. It’s very unlike other schools, in my experience at least, especially my high school. They are not as accepting. I think here it’s really interesting how they have you announce your pronouns, so it’s a more inclusive environment. And the anti-bullying initiatives they have, listening to the principal speak, they have made huge strides in that sector, which is really great too. I think it’s kind of interesting that it’s like college for you guys. The amount of freedoms that are given is unparalleled by any other school.

When did you know you wanted to be a teacher?

Probably a year ago. I actually studied medical laboratory science for a long time and I hated it, so I switched and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I started nannying, and when I started teaching yoga, I realized I love working with kids. I would like to do that [yoga] and introduce that into the special education department. I think for a lot of kids it would help them emotionally.

What are some things you like to do outside of school?

I watch a lot of “Bravo.” I like my “Bravo” fix.  I like to read a lot, too. I’m reading a book on deciphering body language. One of my students is lower functioning and she doesn’t have a lot of words. She has a device she uses, so I started reading this book so I could help read her body language a little better. I thought that would be useful.