Driscoll Teacher Feature: Mackenzie Snow

KAYLA LEZAMA / SCHOLARS SAGAMORE

Mackenzie Snow teaches the first grade at the Michael Driscoll Elementary School.

Kayla Lezama, Scholars Staff Writer

Mackenzie Snow is a first grade teacher at the Michael Driscoll Elementary School. In her free time, she enjoys exercising and making arts and crafts. Snow was inspired by her 1st grade teacher to become a teacher herself and has been able to work with him since. Snow’s favorite part of teaching is when she sees students realize that they can do something that was once hard for them. Overall, Snow is a passionate teacher who strives to be better everyday.

Who are some of the people in your life that inspired you to become the person you are today?

My 1st grader teacher, Mr. O’Ginsky was amazing and I stayed in contact with him throughout my time in high school, and even when I went to college; he was so excited when I told him I wanted to become a teacher. I actually started student teaching with him. That was my first student teaching experience and it was with my own 1st grade teacher. He was teaching second grade at that point, but it was so cool to start working with him in the opposite role.

What is one of your favorite moments?

I think hearing kids outside in the hallway in the morning and hearing that they are excited to come into school.  You know they might be reading the morning message or hearing the bustling and sometimes yelling, but hearing kids excited to come into my classroom makes me feel like I’m doing my job well.  It’s a really awesome way to start your day at work.

What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time I like to read, exercise and I like to craft.  I made some pretty nifty shadow boxes this summer. I collected  some coastal sea urchins and starfishes from all these different places that I traveled to and I decided that I wanted to display them somehow, so I cleaned them up and crafted with my free time and they are on display in my bedroom.