We need a climate report card

We need a climate report card
GRAPHIC BY MARCUS PENG

Whether dealing with the sinking feeling of a poor report card or the exhilarating feeling of a good one, report cards are important because they give students a benchmark, a reference point that can be measured and compared as a base for improvement. Just as a report card is a progress point for students, we need something similar to serve as a progress point for institutions. Every carbon emitting facility should be mandated to have their own climate benchmark and progress reports.

In April 2020, Massachusetts enacted a policy that requires the state to reduce carbon emissions in order to reach net zero emissions by 2050. On a state level, the Office of Climate Innovation and Resilience has been formed to make sure we’re meeting those goals. Brookline High School, an institution with over 2,000 students, is no doubt a contributor to the total carbon footprint of Massachusetts.

So, what does the high school’s carbon “report card” look like? There isn’t one.

The High School cannot be accused of not making an effort to reduce its carbon footprint: the new 22 Tappan was designed with a dehumidifying system instead of air conditioning to reduce energy usage. Solar panels have been installed on the roof of the STEM wing and the Tappan gym to generate clean electricity. On Mondays, the cafeteria doesn’t serve meat in order to reduce methane emissions. The Climate Justice Club is active and has numerous passionate members. All these elements are put forth in good faith to reduce our carbon footprint. But how much carbon did the solar panels reduce? How much of a dent in emissions does the dehumidifying system create? Are meatless Mondays really contributing to our efforts, or are they only a ‘feel-good’ practice? If we don’t know what the carbon footprint was before our efforts started, how can we tell if we are making satisfactory progress towards our goals? We need a benchmark to measure our progress.

Our world’s climate is in dire straits. If we want to avert a catastrophe, all countries, states, towns and even all schools must contribute towards their individual carbon reduction goals. The High School needs to show its leadership by benchmarking its carbon and then having a plan to reduce it.

We can’t strive towards net zero emissions without measurements and we can’t fully recognize the results of the hard work so many people are putting into creating a greener school. Without benchmarking, the exhilarating feeling we strive for—bringing home a good report card—won’t be possible.