School faculty show continued unity in support of BEU

February 29, 2016

Teachers leave the high school building at 3 p.m. on Feb. 29. Leon Yang / Sagamore Staff

On Monday, Feb. 29, for the second consecutive Monday, teachers left the high school at 3 p.m. in a sign of solidarity with the Brookline Educators Union, who are currently in the negotiations with the School Committee.

School faculty wanted to show how much time teachers use after school by strictly abiding by the current contract, which obligates them to stay in school only until 3 p.m. Many wore buttons that said “No New Contract. 182 Days Still Teaching.”

One of the buttons that teachers are wearing displaying their lack of a contract. Leon Yang / Sagamore Staff

Many teachers have automated responses to emails that they receive beyond the school hours of 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Below is one of these responses:

Thanks for your email. Please note that until we have a new BEU contract, I will respond to emails only on school days and only between 8am and 3pm on those days. If you are concerned with this response, please contact the School Committee members and urge them to settle a fair contract with the BEU. All addresses are @brookline.k12.ma.us:  susan_ditkoff; barbara_scotto; ben_chang; helen_charlupski; michael_glover; lisa_jackson; david_pollak; rebecca_stone; beth_stram

Social studies teacher Robert Grant said that the school faculty is concerned with working conditions and that they are trying to show the School Committee’s inadequate contract negotiations through this

“As a teacher’s job changes over the years, so do does the contract agreement need to change with that,” Grant said. “Another thing that we’re really concerned about is the gross underpayment of the paraprofessionals. This is not about us looking for a raise. The cost of living increase to keep up with inflation is one thing. I’m not looking to be a wealthier person next year than I am this year.”

Grant said that the teachers have continued momentum.

“I think that we’re becoming increasingly demoralized and frustrated and now it’s three o’clock and I need to!” Grant said.