SOFIA REYNOSO / SAGAMORE STAFF

Matthew DuBois

Mr. Matthew DuBois is the high school’s new psychologist. He previously worked in hospitals but is excited about Brookline’s welcoming and accepting community.

Why did you choose Brookline High School?

Back in 2009 to 2011, I was here at Brookline High School as part of my doctoral training and I loved my time here. Then for five years after that, I bounced around a little bit. I’m familiar with Brookline, and it’s always been a great school system. When the opportunity arose for me to come back, I jumped at it.

What drew you to psychology?

Back in high school, I had a really interesting psychology class. My mom was a social worker, so I saw her helping people grow up. That led me to major in psychology. The reason why I picked schools to work in is that in different settings you don’t get as much face to face time with students. In a school, you get to work with students for hours a day several days a week, which is really fun and fantastic. You also get to work with their teachers and their parents.

What do you want to tell BHS students?

As a psychologist, I always encourage kids to let people know when things are challenging. The worst thing you can do when you’re going through a really stressful time is to shut down and try to go through those things by yourself. So, the people that you trust and care about, let them know what is going on, whether it be small problems or big problems, to open that net up so you can get the support that you need.

What are some of your hobbies?

I love playing sports: baseball, golf, basketball. Depending on the season, a lot of watching sports. Right now, obviously the Patriots and the Red Sox.