Artists give advice to aspiring underclassmen

CONTRIBUTED BY ALEKSANDER SOROK

Junior Aleksander Sorok has taken photography classes at the high school; one of his photos, captured in the high school’s band room is pictured above.

Emma Kahn, News Writing Editor

Close your eyes and listen: there is beautiful music floating through the air. Open your eyes and look: incredible pieces of art line the walls with no end in sight. Where are you? A concert hall? A museum? No. You are simply at Brookline High School, a school filled with incredible artists.

However, these artists’ abilities did not magically appear; they had to work for them. According to artists at the high school, the potion for making artistic dreams come true is practicing, learning, being passionate, having fun and believing in yourself.

For junior Yana Lazarova-Weng, the high school’s Drawing 1 class was what really catalyzed her love of drawing.

“Before Drawing 1, I was interested in drawing, but I just sketched,” Lazarova-Weng said. “I didn’t know that there were so many types of mediums you could use, and I think it [Drawing 1]  just opened my eyes up to different types of drawing and different perspectives, and Mr. Latimer also taught us a lot about techniques and how to draw and how to plan it out, which I didn’t know how to do before. So, it just taught me a lot about how to draw.”

According to junior Aleksander Sorok, his photography and drum skills have also been vastly improved by opportunities available at the high school, from classes to ensembles to spaces.

“In terms of photography, what has been helpful was the class. Obviously, having access to that space, having access to the blue lab on the 3rd floor of the UA, and I would say the Band Room is a huge contributor to my music,” Sorok said. “That space has been really helpful for helping me flourish as a musician, and also the open mics they hold in there about once a month, because that’s a great opportunity for me to present what I’ve been working on, or to play.”

Senior Momoko Howell said that ensembles at the high school have helped her flute playing, and that the high school is where she learned to dance.

“Your teachers are going to teach you what you need to know, and even if you feel like you’re not completely capable yet, if you just practice and if you move, you’ll be able to get there,” Howell said.

Sorok also said that practice is crucial for the improvement of art, but it is important to practice correctly, as to not learn the skill the wrong way.

“My best experience of learning something in terms of artwork has been where I’ve practiced but also had some sort of guidance in my practice instead of just trying to improve with myself which can be very effective, but it can also pull you back when you realize you have to relearn something,” Sorok explained.

According to Howell and Sorok, it is also very important to ask peers, instructors, and others for help to better your art.

“I always ask my flute teacher about questions about band and stuff. For dance, ask your teachers, ask your peers. If you have questions about anything, ask your peers because both of you will then go over something you don’t know,” Howell said.

Sorok said that in order to optimize one’s artistic abilities, they must love what they are creating because they love to make art.

“As long as you are enjoying it, don’t let other people put you down and supress what you love to do,” Sorok said. “Because in the end, it’s all about you and about conveying the message that you want to convey. It’s not about other people, it’s not about doing it for anyone else.”

According to Lazarova-Weng, making sure the art is meaningful to the artist is a surefire way to ensure amazing art.

“When you actually draw as a way to express yourself and not just draw because you have to or because you’re copying something, it will be meaningful to you and you’ll have fun doing it, so it will end up looking good,” Lazarova-Weng said. “Don’t give up and just keep trying and practicing. If you really enjoy doing it, you’re going to be a good artist.”