Students break stereotypes through fashion expression

MADDIE KENNEDY

With a style that’s described as “presentable, clean, and casual,” junior Arik Stolyarov believes that others perceive him as a funny guy because sometimes he wears funny shirts.

Maddie Kennedy, Regulars Managing Editor

The owner of the iconic fashion company Prada, Miuccia Prada, once said: “What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is instant language.”

While some may think that boys typically don’t care about what they wear, the reality is that most do because they believe clothes say a lot about a person.

Junior Arik Stolyarov explains what other people will think goes through his head every time he picks out an outfit.

“How will I look in this, and how will other people perceive how I look, that is basically what dressing up is. It is making people perceive you the way you want to be perceived, and it’s all interpretation,” Stolyarov said.

Senior Aaron Barbour agrees with this sentiment, and claims that you can tell a lot about who someone is by the way they dress.

“I feel like you can tell someone’s personality through their clothes,” Barbour said. “I feel like I’m edgy. I like my clothes to be ripped up. I don’t like nice clothes at all.”

Sophomore Carlos Hernandez offered that guys choose their outfits so that they’ll stand out.

“They’re focusing on how they look and they care about what people think. They want to be noticed,” Hernandez said.

Barbour addresses the stereotype that guys don’t care about what they wear and claims that though there are some guys who don’t care, there are many more that do.

“I care about how I dress. There’s a lot of boys who don’t really care about how they dress,” Barbour said. “But there’s also some kids that really sit down and think about their outfits.”

Stolyarov added that perhaps the reason some boys do not focus on how they dress is because of the stigma around dressing well, as fashion is often associated with girls and not boys.

“Maybe it’s because there’s more variety in what girls wear than boys. For guys it’s usually just a shirt and pants but then girls can have shirts, pants, dresses or skirts. ” Stolyarov said. “I understand why people would think that stereotype, and there are some guys who don’t care about what they wear. There are girls as well. I’ve seen both.”

While Hernandez answered that he tries to go his own way, Barbour and Stolyarov both cited their fashion inspirations and icons are from popular people and the media. Stolyarov watches the snapchat story for Gentlemen’s Quarterly which is for men’s fashion and Barbour gets his inspiration from model Luka Sabbat.

With these inspirations, they defy the stereotype that boys don’t care about how they dress.

“I want that when people see me I look good every single time.” Barbour said. “That’s my goal. Clothes give an impression on people.”