Jamie Chamberlain remains humble despite success

Jamie Chamberlain

Jump! Sophomore Jamie Chamberlain (middle) competes in an indoor hurdles event at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletics Center in Boston. She currently holds the school record for the 55 meter hurdles and the long jump.

Nina Rogers, Staff Writer

Watching from the stands at the recent All-State Championships, it would have been easy to pick out sophomore Jamie Chamberlain from the mass of runners present; she was the one with the biggest smile on her face.

Chamberlain is a three-season varsity athlete, playing volleyball in the fall and indoor and outdoor track during the winter and spring seasons. Chamberlain excels in all areas, and despite being one of the best runners in the state, she remains humble and encourages her teammates to do better.

For the past two years, Chamberlain has taken part in the 55 meter hurdles and the long jump during the indoor track season. She has made it to divisionals each year and has been selected to run at the all-state meet where the best athletes in all of Massachusetts compete.

She currently holds the school’s record for the 55 meter hurdles with a time of 8.43 seconds and the record for the long jump with a distance of 18 feet and 2.75 inches.

Head coach of girls track Lee Eddy pointed out Chamberlain’s inherent athleticism, recounting the first time he saw her running hurdles at practice. When doing hurdles for the first time, Eddy said that most students take four or five steps in between each hurdle, but not Chamberlain.

“She went over the hurdles, and she came up to me after and I asked her, ‘Did you do three steps between?’ and she said, ‘I don’t know.’ I had her go back and do it again, and she was three stepping first time over the hurdles, which is quite incredible,” Eddy said. “It’s the first time I have ever seen it.”

According to senior Elisa Matson, a teammate of Chamberlain’s, Chamberlain remains humble when interacting with teammates and competitors.

“She is an amazing athlete but she doesn’t act entitled or act like she is better than anyone else,” Matson said. “She still asks me for advice on how to hurdle even though her times are faster than mine just because I have been doing it for longer.”

Eddy said that Chamberlain brings kindness to the entire track team.

“She brings an openness and a friendliness to absolutely anyone and everyone on the team, no matter where they are or what they do,” Lee said.

Chamberlain strives to go above and beyond, especially when it comes to helping teammates, often assuring them that one setback is not the end of the world.

“I encourage people because it is very easy to disappoint yourself in sports,” Chamberlain said. “I have seen a couple people do that on the team, which upsets me because I know that if they are trying their best, that’s great.”

Chamberlain said she is unsure of how she will continue her running career as she sees sports as something she does for fun.

“I don’t do it to get into college and I’m not doing it to meet a goal or expectation that anyone has,” Chamberlain said. “It’s just for me personally in the moment and how much fun I’m having.”