Dashiki Day kicks off Black History Month

Dozens of students dressed in colorful garments known as Dashikis on Thursday, Feb. 6, to express themselves and in celebration of Black History Month.

The Dashiki originates in West-Africa and has also historically been worn to protest the disrespect African-Americans were receiving in society. In addition, many students and teachers alike have assimilated their own beliefs into the garment.

Steps to Success adviser Audrey Spataro said that the bright colors of the Dashiki mean more to some than just what meets the eye.

“I think it represents clarity, open-mindedness, and it opens up positivity for the culture. It brings creativity to the high school with the culture’s fun music, food, and people” Spataro said. “I think it’s really important to expose that for people who don’t even know what a Dashiki is.”

Senior Ifunanya Richardson says that wearing the Dashiki can help represent more than just herself.

“It makes me feel more unified with other African-Americans and Black people in the school, and on top of that it draws more attention to Black History Month” Richardson said, “A lot of people don’t know their families’ complete origin, and the Dashiki is like a Pan-African thing to wear that can include everyone, no matter their history.”

Junior Tanailya Drummond hopes to shed light on the importance of representing the people of the past, and said celebrating their African-American heritage can help build a better future.

“I think it’s very important to celebrate Black History Month at Brookline High School,” Drummond said, “because being able to represent us and our people that came way before us is so important when it comes to creating the future and change we want to see.