Alexander+Craven

Alexander Craven

After growing up in Milton and attending both Clark University and UMass Boston, French teacher Alexander Craven went on to teach in France and in other parts of Massachusetts. Craven is happy to be teaching in Brookline, partially due to his “ultimate dream” of finally being able to commute by train.

Did you like high school?
I think it was around high school when I realized I wanted to be a teacher. I had a history teacher who was a great teacher and happy as can be. I remember thinking that he was a year away from retirement and still loved his job. As a junior, I remember thinking that I want to get a job where I can be as happy as this guy.

What have you spent the past six months in quarantine doing?
Because of COVID everything shut down, so I spent my summer working at a Stop & Shop. I wanted to make sure I was busy and doing my part. I am relatively young and I figure if I am on the front line as a worker at Stop & Shop I am taking a risk, but it’s better than somebody older.

Have you always wanted to teach high schoolers?
My class normally is very dynamic and I teach with a lot of energy. I have thought about teaching younger students, but I am happy with high schoolers and what I am doing now. High schoolers have a lot more skills and abilities and it is easier to do more in class than it would be with younger students.

Do you have any hobbies that you have had for your whole life?
Growing up, I played sports. I played football and lacrosse, and I played in college too. After college you cannot do that, so I got into running. My first teaching experience in America was down in Cape Cod and I had some friends who got me into long-distance running. I have done a dozen or so half marathons and the goal is to be able to do a marathon.

How has the adjustment to remote learning been so far?
That first week was probably the worst because that’s typically the part of the year I look forward to the most. Doing classes online, it’s tough to hype people up or to get people talking and sharing. The students have been very patient when I’m trying to do different activities and adapt different things that we have done in the past so they will work in a virtual classroom.

Now that you have taught high schoolers, do you have any advice that you would give your high school self?
Don’t worry so much. I was stressed out in high school with grades, sports, social life and all that. I would say “be you” and enjoy the ride. Life usually works out in the end. Try to enjoy high school for the four years you are there.