Unaffiliated sports provide deeper meaning to athletes

Public Domain

Students at the high school who participate in unaffiliated sports stay optimistic about their involvement in the community.

Kicking a ball. Competitions. Scoreboards and cheering crowds. For most people, this is a clear image of what comes to mind when you hear the word “sport.” But for many athletes at the high school, this widely perceived concept of traditional sports is inaccurate.

The high school offers a multitude of sports, but for some students whose activities are not offered at the school, this concept goes beyond winning competitions and teambuilding. Unaffiliated sports outside of the high school differ, as students find that they have a deeper cultural and mental attachment to them.

Senior Alyssa Chen currently dances ballet outside of the high school community. Chen said performing ballet is a more personal experience despite the perspective of the audience.

“I would say [ballet] is more individual, because mainly everyone’s bodies are built differently, and even though it may look like we’re in sync from an audience’s perspective, we all have different limitations, flexibility, and balance so it’s a different process for everyone,” Chen said.

Senior Benji Kaufman is a competitive rock climber. Kaufman said that he prefers this sport without competition, because he feels like he is playing for himself.

“The point of the sport [soccer] is to play games and see if you win or lose, but with rock climbing you can do it just because you feel like it, you are the only person you have to compete against, which I enjoy. It does not have to be a competition.”

Chen said ballet stands out from other sports because it is an art form that is far more difficult than one might think.

“Everyone thinks it’s so easy, just standing on your twinkle toes but it’s not. A huge part of ballet is actually making it look pretty, which is what makes it so hard,” Chen said.

Junior Yuki Hoshi practices karate. Hoshi said one of the greatest contrasts between traditional sports offered at the high school and martial arts is the heavy influence that culture has.

“It’s heavily intertwined with culture, and a lot of more personal aspects of someone’s life, whereas with basketball, you could really play it anywhere,” Hoshi said.

Chen said her club outside of the school would be preferable to having an official team at the high school.

“There are some other people at BHS who are in our club in Boston, so in terms of making a team, I feel like we have enough going on at our own club. So rather than everyone gathering at the high school, I’d prefer we come to our own club and community,” Chen said.