Bryce Davidson

Bryce Davidson

Bryce Davidson is a new visual arts teacher at the high school. When not at school, he is a freelance illustrator who released a sci-fi book last summer. A cartoonist by trade, he plays the guitar and keyboard, likes traveling, playing video games with his friends and trying new places to eat. In his free time, he especially finds it relaxing to read by the Charles River.

What is one of your personal qualities you’re most proud of?

I’m a very empathetic person. I really like talking with people and getting to know people. I think it’s led me to have a life where I have a lot of friends, and I’ve met a lot of people. I am very proud of that because I know it’s not as easy for some people to make those connections, and it definitely helps me a lot in teaching too.

What gets you up in the morning?

Honestly, I love being here. The fact that I get to work in this building with the students is a lot of fun. Usually, once I’m up and I’m out the door, I’m ready to engage. I’m very fortunate that I like what I do for my job. That’s enough to get me up most of the time.

What is the favorite thing that you like about painting and drawing?

When I’m painting and drawing, I’m really paying attention. I feel like I’m awake and alive in those moments. It’s also a great way just to unwind and relax, though it can be stressful too. I really feel very in tune with my surroundings and what’s going on with them.

Do you think painting and drawing has taught you anything?

If I’m feeling upset or anxious, art is always something I can fall back on. Having that in my life has taught me a lot about being comfortable with yourself, having a space that you can express yourself and that you can be yourself and not worry about anything else that’s going on.

What advice would you give to students?

High school can be crazy. It’s a really hard time in your life, for a lot of different reasons. I think just being able to pull yourself out of it, to have a place where you can relax and unwind, and to have friends that you can go to to have fun or to complain is really important. Just try not to let all that pressure get the best of you. High school is a time that you can explore and find yourself. I think that’s the main purpose of what you want to think about.