Karim Azeb

Karim Azeb

Karim Azeb has been teaching since 2013. In 2019, he arrived at the high school and has recently taken on the role of Interim Associate Dean for the Class of 2024. He enjoys watching soccer and follows the sport both in his hometown and on a global scale.

What do you like most about teaching at the high school?

This is the first truly diverse school I’ve taught at. It has everything and everyone as opposed to the traditional, political meaning of diversity in the U.S, which is very just black and white. The high school has a wide range of students. I found that to be the most interesting because I’m learning new things about different cultures that I never had the pleasure of interacting with, because of where I grew up and live.

What are you hoping to accomplish as an interim Associate Dean?

We have a lot of plans to address and be more actionable on the equity front. I know the whole administration has been really specific and direct about trying those things. Also, I’m excited just to get to know more kids. I’ve been teaching only juniors my first few years here, so now I actually have to really know more students. I’m most excited just to get to know more people and work on addressing the equity issues in Brookline across the board.

How has your experience teaching history influenced your goals in the education field?

I’m more of a relationship builder than a content deliverer. I know my content very well, but in my classroom, my main concern was always can any student walk in and feel like I care about them. When I was in school, history was all about dates and names and events. You had to know when it happened, who was there and what was the thing that happened. But our learning today has shifted to focus more on themes and ideas. I think that’s more relatable and achievable when you have good relationships with your students.

What do you enjoy most outside of teaching?

I’m a soccer fanatic. I was born in Egypt, so my favorite team is my local team in Alexandria, but, worldwide, it would be Barcelona. They came to Egypt in 1998. It was the first professional game I ever saw live because they played my neighborhood team. I’ve been a fan ever since.