Meghan+Richer

Meghan Richer

Meghan Richer is a Special Education Teacher at the Old Lincoln School. She coaches field hockey at the high school, and she likes to read and exercise in her free time.

When did you start working at the high school and what do you do?
I started as a paraprofessional in 2018 and then started as a lead teacher last year in October. This is my second year as a lead teacher, but my fourth year overall. I teach two different classes of co-taught English, and then I also have a learning center, so I help kids with their reading, writing, and executive functioning skills at our writing center.

What was your main motivation to become a teacher?
I actually started in marketing. That was my undergrad, and I was in sales for two or three years, but it just wasn’t my thing. I had loved working with special education kids in Best Buddies and the Special Olympics prior to switching over to education. I had also often coached at field hockey camps. I just kind of felt like I wanted to get into a career that would allow me to do that more often. Now I’m coaching the field hockey team here.

What made you decide to become a Special Education Teacher?
It was something that I’d always been interested in and been involved in through volunteering previously, and my mom was also a Special Education Teacher, and she’s my role model. So, I’d been around it forever and really felt connected.

What would you like to see the Special Education Department at the high school look like in 10 years?
I want the Special Education Department to be equitable for the students and the teachers and be inclusive so that our kids have every single opportunity that everyone else has to be able to reach their highest potential. I also want to continue our happiness and togetherness as a department while making sure that everything’s equitable and inclusive for everyone.