Wen+Sailer

Wen Sailer

Wen Sailer is a new biology teacher at the high school. She is a DC (Detective Comics), Marvel fan and dog lover. Over the summer she visited her family and spent time relaxing by doing yoga. As a teacher she hopes to form connections with her students and become a trusted adult in their lives.

What do you like about the high school so far?

The new space is beautiful, and I just enjoy being here and getting to know the students.

Was there a moment you had as a teacher that was really impactful for you?

I think in general when you make a connection personally or academically with students where the student feels like you’re a person that they can talk to and come to, on that level where you’re more than just an academic teacher, you’re a trusted adult. Also, when a student says, ‘Oh, because of your class, I now really love science’ or ‘I didn’t know I liked science until I took your class.’

Is there a specific reason you chose to teach science?

When I was in high school and middle school, I didn’t think I liked science. I thought I would be more interested in humanities, but then when I got to high school and took biology, it just really clicked with me. I found it interesting and fascinating.

What kinds of things do you like to do in your free time?

I play stupid games on my phone: Clash of Clans, Brawl Stars and Clash Royale.

What are your dogs’ names?

I have two dogs. One is Daisy and one is Shado, named after a character from DC comics.

How did you spend your summer?

I went to visit some family in San Antonio, Texas, and we also spent a week at a family camp in the Adirondack Mountains in New York state.