Club Fair engages students with new opportunities

ANDI LOWE/SAGAMORE STAFF

Hundreds of students gathered in the quad on Thursday to explore new opportunities offered to them by the multitude of clubs present.

Tables, posters, slideshows, flatscreens, and even gaming consoles were scattered across the quad, under the backdrop of the new STEM wing, on Sept. 30 to attract new members to over 70 clubs, all representing different passions amongst the high school population.

The Club Fair is an annual, school-wide event, taking place during the fall, where students from different clubs gather to recruit potential members.

This year, hundreds of students gathered together engaging in one of the most critical days for clubs school-wide.

From political speakers to a drama student in a llama costume, the air surrounding the Club Fair was buzzing with energy and excitement.

Junior Alice MacGarvie Thompson showed her firm resolve and advocacy for the underrepresented population of incarcerated Black men, specifically William Allen, by promoting a political rally scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 5.

Using a Megaphone and a seven-foot-tall poster, MacGarvie Thompson spoke her resolution to hundreds of her peers. MacGarvie Thompson said her goal was to inspire more of her peers to get involved in activism.

“My goal is to get more collective action within the BHS community, not only for them to assign books like Just Mercy but to be involved in activism related to this kind of stuff,” MacGarvie said. “We do it at the Club Fair because this is such a large gathering and we hope to get the attention of a lot of people.”

The Club Fair is an opportunity to discover a new passion. Senior Jordan Yoke, a Cantico veteran, operates one of the many booths to recruit new dancers into her inclusive and community-based space. She said Cantico is a safe place to express one’s creativity and love for dance and explains the importance of the Club Fair to Cantico’s mission.

“I definitely want to continue the trend of Cantico being a great club for coming together and meeting new people, opening it up to everyone who happens to be here today and is interested,” Yoke said.

The varying student passions speak to the core of what the community at the high school stands for. Junior Romas Moore, representing the Young Americans for Freedom Club, said his mission of showcasing the conservative presence on campus.

“The club fair is a gathering of the BHS community, it’s a time when we come together, and we see what other people are interested in and what they’re up to. It’s important for students to see that there is a conservative presence on campus and even to engage with it if they want,” Moore said.

This event allows students to promote their own interests and explore activities and causes they might have never engaged in before. Organizer Dean Poon said through his years of orchestrating the Club Fair he has come to understand its significance to the student body.

“What strikes me about the club fair is that there is so much energy,” Poon said.“While it’s somewhat chaotic, there is a lot of joy in the various students- I think providing an opportunity for our students to organize around the things they are passionate about is vital.”