Nate+Harris

AVA VARRELL/SAGAMORE STAFF

Nate Harris

Senior Nate Harris is in the process of developing an app that makes interactions between police officers and drivers safer. He started to make the app last year after his AP Computer Science and Principals teacher, David Petty, encouraged him to submit the project as part of the Congressional App Challenge. Harris came up with this idea after realizing the danger of traffic stops.

“There’s certainly a problem with how traffic stops are currently being handled because it’s statistically proven that people will lose a father or mother just by going five miles over the speed limit. I had an epiphany last year, and realized I should look for solutions,” Harris said.

The app uses technology which allows routine traffic stops between police officers and drivers to be contactless, eliminating the risk of harm.

“Instead of talking to them to ask for their license and registration, this app would allow cops to go to the back of a car and scan a QR code, which gives them the information about license and registration and eliminates administering a ticket face-to-face,” Harris said.

Stephanie Hunt, who teaches Harris in the African-American Latino Scholars Program, encourages all students to speak up for what they believe in, as they can promote much needed change.

“It is so important for students to speak out and act on the issues they care about. You don’t have to be an adult or hold an official position to affect change,” Hunt said. “We see more and more how impactful younger activists can be and how they are spearheading change and progress.”