Drama Society provides space for growth and expression

CONTRIBUTED BY THOMASIN SCHMULTS

The Drama Society serves as a safe space where all students feel represented and welcome.

After being a part of the Drama Society for the past few years, senior Thomasin Schmults says she cannot imagine her high school experience without the welcoming environment the group fostered.

The Drama Society is a student-run theater organization that provides opportunities for students to engage in drama pieces whether they are familiar with acting or not. The welcoming atmosphere of the group allows students to connect with these plays on a personal level, while learning more about themselves and their peers.

When students come to practice, the Drama Society eases any nerves about performing onstage for a crowd by forming small groups where students bond with each other by playing games and practicing improv scenes.

These activities make it easier for students to express themselves in front of a crowd when performing in a play. Drama teacher Elena Maimonis said that there are many benefits when working in small groups. She said that when students share their experiences with each other, they feel more comfortable expressing themselves in their performance.

“From there, once their story’s been told, then they can frame that into actual text and develop characters based on real people that they know in real life or themselves or a mixture of those,” said Maimonis. “But even just being a part of the Drama Society in general, whether you’re in a class or in a show, we really do have just so many conversations about current events, social justice and personal experiences, and we bring our own voices into our work all the time.”

Isaac Morse, head of 8th and 9th Grade Outreach for the Drama Society, said that everyone has a purpose in the group.

“One of the things that the Drama Society does well is that we don’t have any characters that are throwaway characters. They mean something and have some specific purpose or reason to be in the show,” Morse said.

Schmults, President of the Drama Society, said she has had personal growth from being a part of the Drama Society. She said that she’s learned about empathy from activities and by participating in theater.

“When you’re putting on a costume for a show, you are stepping into someone else’s shoes. I think playing different characters and hearing all of your classmates’ perspectives on different characters and on themselves is just a really interesting way to see into other people’s emotions, their lives and how they see the world,” Schmults said.

Morse similarly said he has had a lot of self-development after becoming a member of the Drama Society.

“I’ve learned a lot about what it takes for me to excel at something that is not a constant practice of mine. Also figuring out that self-autonomy, figuring out what works for me and staying in the moment is something that I’ve been really trying to work on,” Morse said.

Maimonis has watched many students grow as they reenact plays from Shakespeare, communicate with their peers and immerse themselves in the welcoming culture.

“The Drama Society is a really great community, where students can feel heard and safe, and they’re able to express themselves,” Maimonis said. “Drama is a very vulnerable activity where you have to put yourself out there, and I think it’s great to be part of a community that’s so accepting of others, and encouraging for each other to do their best and try something new.”