Brookline School Committee responds to work-to-rule action taken by Brookline Educators Union

The Brookline School Commitee (BSC) responded to the Brookline Educators Unions (BEU) recent work-to-rule action via a public statement.

Public Domain

The Brookline School Commitee (BSC) responded to the Brookline Educators Union’s (BEU) recent work-to-rule action via a public statement.

On Dec. 17, the Brookline School Committee (BSC) published a public response to the Brookline Educators Union’s (BEU) recent work-to-rule action that began Dec. 10 at 3 p.m. Under this action, most teachers in the union restricted their schedules to 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., leaving significantly reduced time for office hours, grading and other additional tasks many teachers take on outside of direct school hours.

In their response, the BSC wrote that many of the BEU’s demands do not belong in an employment contract, citing the BEU’s request for contractual language on retaining more teachers of color as an example.

The response expressed frustration about the BEU’s refusal to enter mediation with the BSC.

The BSC also wrote that while the work-to-rule action was intended to pressure the BSC, it increases stress in students and their families.

“We are saddened that the BEU has rejected mediation, has pressured the community to pressure us to abandon mediation, and has taken actions that will harm Brookline students-both through reduced teacher-student interactions and by provoking stress and anxiety in students and caregivers,” the BSC wrote.

The BSC wrote that they hope to change the narrative between them and the BEU.

“We understand that many educators may see work-to-rule as their only way to be heard. We also understand that what the School Committee sees as disagreement, educators may see as disrespect. We regret this perception and wish to change it,” the BSC wrote.

They concluded their response by writing that they look forward to reaching agreement with the BEU in the interest of the community.

“We look forward to coming to an agreement with the BEU on these contracts, so that we can return our full focus as a community toward our shared goal of providing an extraordinary education for every child,” the BSC wrote.