Challenges to Equity Work

December 22, 2021

Although the district has implemented some programs to combat the achievement gap, the educational disparities still remain a constant problem plaguing the PSB. The independence of the elementary schools, recent district turnover and past culture hinder the expansion and continuation of equity work.

In a recent Brookline School Committee meeting, the human resources department shared demographics information about BHS staff. The racial makeup of the staff in both 2021 and 2019 was disproportionate to the student population. (Graphic by Rowan Roudebush)
The decentralization and independence from direct district management that Brookline is known for has mixed results for maintaining programs in the district. While that independence can allow for teachers and administrators to innovate, it can also de-prioritize consistency and uniformity across the PSB.

Sevelius said the distance of the district has allowed him to coordinate efforts within Heath’s community to adapt programs to fit the specific needs of students and parents.

“Central office leadership has tended to have a lot of faith in our decision-making and our practices. And I can only speak for myself because I’m living my own experience. I feel really supported by being left alone, trusted and celebrated,” Sevelius said

The district has experienced grassroots efforts at some schools through the work of Sevelius and others. However, most of these efforts remain separate from each other and work independently, which could lessen the impact of the work, according to Josephine Bouquet, a fourth grade teacher at Driscoll.

“A lot of administrators might have a vision. It’s not a lack of trying based on the facts of the policies and the decisions that they’re making. But the things that I’m seeing my fellow educators struggling with, there is a disconnect both ways,” Bouquet said.
Lesley Ryan Miller, Deputy Superintendent of Teaching and Learning, said ensuring unity and accountability in the PSB will help maintain and start programs.

“It can’t be different. From Pierce, to Lawrence, to Heath, there should be kind of a standard process so everyone knows what that is. But, I think there are other kinds of structures and processes that need to be in place so that we can ensure equitable practices,” Miller said.

Another struggle the district has faced in continuing equity work is turnover in the district’s key positions for reform and turnover with teachers of color. The PSB have transitioned through superintendents and through directors of equity initiatives. Dr. Linus Guillory, the Superintendent of the PSB, has been the sixth in seven years and five of his seven senior team members are either new to the position or the district.

Programs and initiatives that were started have fallen through the cracks, according to Uttaro.

“When you have turnover like that, you lose the thread. You lose track of what the work was, and it almost feels like you have to start over. I do think it’s hard sometimes because for this work, it’s important for people to stay in their jobs to keep it going,” Uttaro said.

Retaining educators of color has been a problem for the PSB because many end up leaving the district, as noted during a Brookline School Committee Meeting this November. Bouquet said the lack of representation negatively impacts minority students and equity.

“If we look at the ratios of students, of different racial backgrounds and of different ethnicities, it’s not proportionate to the educators that they’re seeing, which makes things very challenging. It also makes it hard to have a lot of these really important conversations about race. So many people who I think have the absolute best intentions and such a desire to dig deep into this important work don’t necessarily have the tools or experience to be able to discuss it,” Bouquet said.

The culture of the PSB further plays a role in the challenges with continuing educational equity work. The slow momentum of the work is in part due to a “private school of the public schools” attitude in Brookline, according to Sevelius.

When Sevelius first became principal, he found that under the previous leadership, parents could bend the system to favor their children if they had the right connections. Parents would request meetings with Sevelius in an attempt to persuade him into placing their children into specific teachers’ classrooms. Prospective parents or homeowners could also take guided tours of the school under previous administrations.

Sevelius said those practices led to a culture of elitism and “private” education within Heath, which is in direct contrast with the ideals of equity work.

“To me, that was very abrasive because we are a public school, and to perform as a private school means that we were then performing exclusionary practices. [Private schools] get to select the students who come to the school, they can exclude or include as they desire, but public schools do not have that. We are a public school, and I want to keep that public school mentality. That we are a school for the people and of the people,” Sevelius said.

Dean of Student Support Systems, Brian Poon, said throughout his time at the high school, many programs have seen individual success, but as a whole, creating systemic and cultural change will help increase success rates.

“I’ve been involved with tons of programs at this high school. They are vital and it has to be a culture change expectation. We have to be held accountable in order for the greater metrics to change,” Poon said.

The past cultural attitudes of the PSB have resulted in a clear lack of commitment from the district as a united body. While pockets of programs have been started, the challenge of connecting all parents, teachers and administrators has proven difficult to overcome, according to Herman.

“I think because we haven’t addressed it head on before, or even now, it’s hard to gain the momentum. We have to make the commitment and the commitment needs to be seen by everybody. And I also think we have a ton of stakeholders to engage. We have a community of different stakeholders with the families and it’s an enormous task. I think we have to not be afraid to start the conversation,” Herman said.