Midyear exams postponed due to recent school closures and increased absences

ANYA RAO/SAGAMORE STAFF

Head of School Anthony Meyer announced that midyear exams will be postponed by two days in his email to students on Jan. 9.

Head of School Anthony Meyer announced the postponement of midyear exams in an email to students on Jan. 9 at 4:20 p.m. Midyear exams are now scheduled to begin on Jan. 20, two days after the previously announced date.

Meyer wrote that this decision was made due to recent school closures and increased absences amidst the surge of the COVID-19 Omicron variant.

“I have made this decision because we did not have school as scheduled on Monday 1/3 and then had Friday 1/7 as a Snow Day. With more than ten percent of both students and staff missing multiple days last week, it also seems wise to slow down the end of second quarter and build in more time for review, support, and the like,” Meyer wrote.

The new schedule for midyear exams includes testing on Jan. 20, Jan. 21, Jan. 24 and Jan. 25. The postponement of midyear exams also prompted a postponement of Intersession day, a school-wide day devoted to creating a more just community, to Jan. 26.

Meyer concluded his email by encouraging students to take care of themselves during this stressful time.

“As we move toward Midyear Exams and the end of first semester, I hope you find time to breathe, to do things that are good for your body and mind, and that you look for joy in the mundane. High School is not easy, and the continued presence of COVID in our daily lives makes lots of things harder,” Meyer wrote. “I ask that you do what you can to give yourself compassion and good care; we all need it.”