Larger issues with performing arts at the high school

February 15, 2022

This is not the first instance in which a production at BHS has sparked controversy. The Merchant of Venice, a show that was supposed to be performed this school year, and the Brookline Educational Theater Company’s (BETCo) skits during the MLK assembly this February, caused the most recent controversy.

Z also said there are many difficulties people of color face regarding casting.

“There are very few people of color in Drama Society, so we can’t do shows that are specifically made for people of color. Still, it could have been handled better. They have done shows in the past that aren’t problematic. In “Legally Blonde,” the main idea isn’t racism. Racism is just built into it,” student Z said.

According to Maimonis, the show was focused on Woods’s transformation from needing outside validation to using her intelligence to help others.

“I really hope that the audience walks away feeling empowered because I think that’s what the whole show was about: a woman at the beginning of the show being dumped by her boyfriend who told her she wasn’t smart enough or good enough for him. She then has this whole awakening that she has a bigger purpose in life,” Maimonis said.

Y said while they love the performing arts program, they are aware of the internal problems and the work that needs to be done to make it a safer space for all students.

“I heard from a few people that they weren’t sure if they were going to continue doing performing arts at the high school, which honestly just makes me so sad,” Y said. “I love theater, and hearing people say they won’t do a show because they fear they won’t be accepted is awful. Even though I love the arts, I can still acknowledge the problems. The musical is a place where I want everyone to feel accepted.”