What happens next?

February 17, 2022

With uncertainty about what the next steps will look like, it remains clear that the BSC and BEU have come to view each other in very different lights.

The BEU’s focus is to protect the voice of teachers and, according to Wender-Shubow, the BSC intentionally tries to obstruct that.

“It’s about control. It’s about power. I think it’s quite literal. It’s about management control. They want to be able to say no, whenever they want to say no,” Wender-Shubow said.

Federspiel said the BSC hopes for a contract that benefits everyone in Brookline, taking into account the perspectives of teachers, students and families.

“We’re working hard to get to a win-win, and we’ll get there,” Federspiel said. “I’m hoping that it doesn’t impact student learning too much. Because, really, that’s what we’re about.”

Federspiel said the BSC wants to reach an agreement that acknowledges and validates teachers’ opinions.

“I really do support them. I’m really grateful for the work they’re doing,” Federspiel said. “I think our teachers are great teachers. The nice thing is they’re open to helping us make changes, and we need to.”

The Sagamore did not get a response to questions for comment from Superindendent Linus Guillory, BSC Member Valerie Frias, BSC Member David Pearlman, Julia Speyer and Kenny Kozol.