What happened this week? (2/27-3/5)

Graphic by Rosa Caramazza

The latter half of this week was especially packed, with local, national and global major events including the high school’s second Day of Change, a wildfire in Florida and the capture of a Ukrainian nuclear power plant.

Wish you could learn about the major happenings this week? Our weekly recaps are intended to give readers a brief overview of what they might have missed.

Spirit Week:
As students and staff returned to school this week following break, many chose to dress outside of their usual outfits for Spirit Week. Students had the opportunity to show off their team spirit, twin with a friend, carry their binders in “anything but a backpack,” dress in clothes from a previous decade and dress to impress for the red carpet.

Day of Change:
Focusing on dismantling the patriarchy and misogyny, students learned about consent through Planned Parenthood’s definition using the F.R.I.E.S acronym and sexual violence through an interview with Youth Sexual Violence Prevention Education Director at BARCC (Boston Area Rape Crisis Center) Casey Corcoran. These lessons and the following discussions on Thursday, Mar. 3, were orchestrated by the Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) coalition during A, B and T block. Thursday marked the high school’s second ever Day of Change. Resources to support students were provided inside and outside the school.

Officer acquitted for endangering Breonna Taylor’s neighbors:
Brett Hankison was the only officer charged in the home raid by Louisville police officers in which Breonna Taylor was shot and killed. Hankison fired 10 shots into Taylor’s apartment, bullets from which broke through a window and sliding glass door and also flew through Taylor’s neighboring apartment. Hankison was found not guilty for endangering Taylor’s neighbors on Thursday, Mar. 3.

Florida wildfire:
In northwestern Florida, a wildfire prompted 600 homes to be evacuated as of the evening of Friday, Mar. 4, and is reportedly spreading northeast. In response, officials announced a local state of emergency and mandatory evacuation orders.

The Batman:
Starring Robert Pattinson, Zoë Kravitz and Jeffrey Wright and directed by Matt Reeves, “The Batman” was released in theaters on Friday, Mar. 3. If you’re a fan of the DC Universe, make sure to buy tickets for this nearly three-hour-long PG-13 film at your local theater.

Ukraine’s nuclear power plant seized:
With workers allegedly being held at “gunpoint,” Russian troops have taken control over Ukraine’s largest nuclear power plant (Zaporizhzhia) after putting out a fire sparked by their attack. With the United States Embassy in Ukraine pronouncing this attack a “war crime,” the United Nations Security Council convened in an emergency meeting on Friday, Mar. 4, to discuss this capture.

Paralympics start:
The 2022 Winter Paralympics started on Friday, Mar. 4 and are scheduled to end on Sunday, Mar. 13 in Beijing, China. During the Opening Ceremony, International Paralympic Committee president Andrew Parsons expressed his disapproval of current global conflicts and called for world peace in a speech. Athletes from Russia and Belarus are banned from competing, while Ukrainian athletes successfully arrived in Beijing despite the turmoil in Ukraine resulting from the Russian invasion.