Annual career fair helps students explore local job opportunities

AMYSUN/SAGAMORESTAFF

The career fair included several booths in which students could learn about an array of local businesses looking to hire students.

The annual career fair was held at the high school in the quad at 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 14. Many students crowded red and blue booths as they learned about different job opportunities. There were 36 different booths ranging from architecture to food services, art, retail and more.

Representatives from various businesses spoke to students at the event to provide information about potential job opportunities.

Freshman Sophia Su said it was important that the high school was sponsoring this event.

“This event is really well-organized, and it’s really important. I think it allows a lot of people at the high school to learn about different career opportunities. Not everyone is able to experience or know about their future and opportunities and this really allows people to figure out what they want to do and what they’re interested in,” Su said.

Some tables offered free souvenirs including food, pens and keychains. Brookline Booksmith offered free unpublished books for the students. Representative of the Brookline Booksmith Kate Frost said it is important to have a fair like this for the benefit of both students and the many vendors looking to hire students.

“It increases community engagement and gives kids a broader view of what’s out there in the neighborhood and in the greater Boston area. Engaging with the people who live in our community is really important,” Frost said.

Students and staff gathered in the quad during X-block to speak with representatives from businesses including Brookline Booksmith and Wegman’s. (LIAFOX/SAGAMORESTAFF)

Sophia Bass Werner from the National Parks service reflected on her own high school experience and appreciates the high school giving students opportunities to find a job they enjoy.

“When I was in high school it was really hard to find jobs that I could explore both as a career but also something that interests me. So having a career fair where you can see what’s out there that you can apply for is super helpful,” Bass Werner said.

Despite the event being a helpful step forward for many students, Freshman Sam Haber said the selection of businesses present at the career fair could have been improved.

“I think there could be more diversity in the jobs because it seems to all be manual labor, and I think there should be jobs targeted towards younger people,” Haber said. “You have to be 16 [or older] for all the jobs.”