Samantha+Melarango

Samantha Melarango

As a new psychologist at the high school, Samantha Melaragno takes pride in shaping a collaborative, nurturing environment for students who need support. She was born and raised in Smithfield, Rhode Island and studied school psychology at the University of Massachusetts- Boston. When she’s not working, you can find her binge-watching television, going to concerts or hanging out with her puppy, Koda.

What are your hobbies?

If there was an Olympics for binge-watching television, I would win. I love movies, music, going to concerts and going out with my friends. I also love listening to pop culture podcasts to get me away from the world that we live in. I live with my partner in Chelsea and we do pretty much everything together.

What role does a school psychologist play at the high school?

School psychologists are really a support system for students. I do counseling with students, I work on social-emotional learning in different classrooms, I do a lot of psychological testing with students who need it and I also collaborate with teachers in all departments. I work with social workers, guidance counselors, nurses and different clinical team staff. It feels like a lot, but I love it.

What does a typical day at work look like for you?

I usually have meetings, whether it’s with a teacher, a student or a parent, and then testing. The testing schedule is crazy; you have to know the BHS schedule, and you have to find the right time to take someone from class and say, “Hey, can you stay here for an hour and a half and do this with me?”. Then, I have Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings or 504 meetings and that’s to see what services a student might need. Those meetings last around an hour and are usually with different teachers, the student, their parents, myself, maybe a speech and language pathologist, a special educator, their guidance counselor, deans or social workers. I have to write reports, too, which takes a lot of time in my day.

What is your favorite part of your job?

I love being interactive with students. I love counseling. Usually, it’s only for a half-hour slot in my day, but I like having that connection with the students because most of the time, I’m on the computer writing reports or talking with parents. Any interaction I have with students is probably my favorite time of the day.

When did you know you wanted to work in your specific field?

After I graduated from my undergrad program—I studied biology and psychology—I worked as a behavioral therapist, and I would go to families’ homes and work with kids with autism. I just knew there were so many more kids that I could be working with, so I pursued this field of school psychology. I’ve always done babysitting, camps and coaching, and I just knew that I loved the field. I was so interested in why people do things, therapeutic systems and the importance of mental health as a whole, so I’m glad I can bring that to students who need it.

Where do you see yourself in the coming years?

I would like to develop myself personally and professionally here in Brookline. I’m a Sagittarius moon, so I’m always looking for the next thing to do. I want to keep getting myself into different groups and clubs and really get myself out there, especially in a school that’s so big and has so many moving parts. Really, I just want to be a presence in Brookline in the next five to ten years.