Arika+Nabutovsky

Arika Nabutovsky

Arika Nabutoksky teaches Legal Studies, Backstage Power Tools and Drama II at the high school. Most of her time outside the theater is spent on the playground with her son. Nabutoksky is also a painter, designer, director, secret cake decorator and an Aaron Sorkin fan.

What inspired you to become a performing arts teacher?

I had a rough childhood, and I was in really bad shape. What saved me was being in the performing arts. While I could have gone on to pursue acting or design, I knew that I wanted to be a teacher since I was in kindergarten, so this is a combination of the two.

Did you go to college for performing arts?

I went undergrad to Emerson College in 2000. I have a Bachelors in Fine Arts, Theater Education and Performing Arts Design Technology. Within performing arts design technology, I did a double concentration in Costume and Set Design. Then I went to graduate school at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. They had a program called Art in Education, so that’s what I have my education masters in. I also got to take courses at the child advocacy program at Harvard Law School, and that was amazing.

What is your experience with performing arts outside of the classroom?

I’m a director. I have acted, but I don’t like acting as much as I like directing. I’m also a designer, so I do costume, makeup, and set design. I work with another company in addition to this lovely place. I work at the Mosesian Center for the Arts in Watertown, and I do a lot of design work and directing over there.

Do you have a favorite play?

I was in London with my husband and we [saw] “The Woman in Black.” It was so absolutely terrifying. I’m a theater technician, but I have no idea how they did some of those things. It was amazing. The best part is that after the play my husband really needed to use the restroom. It had been a long play and he was scared. He didn’t want to go in the bathroom by himself and I thought: this is the power of theater – you can make a grown man frightened.

What are your hobbies?

I have a four and three-quarters year-old son, so my current hobbies are all son-related. I spend a lot of time in playgrounds. I’m an avid reader. I like to bake: I’m secretly a cake decorator. I don’t do it professionally, but it’s just a thing that I love.

What did you do this summer?

I ended up agreeing to do something called a Broadway Bootcamp. It is an extraordinarily intense experience where I agreed to be a director. [I directed] “High School Musical,” and it was great. However, it went right up to the day I started here. It was a terrific experience and I loved every minute, but it’s probably not on the books for next summer.