Loring Greene steps in as Interim METCO Coordinator, taking over for Malcolm Cawthorne

CONTRIBUTED BY LORING GRENNE

Loring Greene will serve as Interim METCO Coordinator for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year, as announced by former METCO Coordinator Malcolm Cawthorne in an email to staff on Sunday, Oct. 23.

Former BHS METCO Coordinator Malcolm Cawthorne announced that Loring Greene will be the Interim BHS METCO Coordinator for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year, as Cawthorne is now serving as the METCO Coordinator for all Public Schools of Brookline (PSB) schools.

Greene has served as the BHS METCO adviser since February 2020 and received the high school’s Paraprofessional of the Year award. The announcement was made in an email from Cawthorne to staff informing them of the change on Sunday, Oct. 23.

Cawthorne said he was impressed by Greene’s extensive work during the COVID-19 pandemic to continue to cultivate a supportive community within the METCO program.

“He worked long hours on Zoom and calling students and families. In the fall of 2020, Mr. Greene worked diligently to maintain the culture that has been consistent in our program and space despite the COVID protocols,” Cawthorne wrote in his email.

In his email, Cawthorne cited a quote from a former student in the METCO program, who said, “Mr. Greene made us feel like we weren’t in a pandemic.”

Cawthorne said Greene has been an “influential part” of the METCO program, and moreover, an “important part of the METCO staff and family.”

Cawthorne, the longest-serving Black teacher at the high school, served as the METCO Coordinator for three years and worked at the high school for 24 years. Cawthorne was honored with a Black Excellence Award by the Massachusetts Black and Latino Legislative Caucus for his work in the town and at the high school.

Cawthorne said he is “excited that Mr. Greene will help bring some solidarity, consistency and leadership to BHS.”

The Sagamore has reached out to Loring Greene for comment.

This is a developing story. Check back here for more updates.