Revisions blends dancing, music and humor into one spectacular show

By 7:20 p.m., it was hard to find a seat. By 7:25, the theater’s built-in seating had been filled to the brim and people were starting to sit on the floor and steps. The room was buzzing with chatter as everyone excitedly awaited the 7:30 start of the second performance of Revisions.

Revisions took place on Saturday, Dec. 3 in the theater at 22 Tappan Street. The student-directed variety show brought together performers of all kinds in a compilation of singing, dancing and other performing arts. Revisions displayed the wide array of talents the high school’s students have to offer.

Senior Annabelle Gardner holds the mic as she sing alongside the rest of Note-A-Fy. (EZRA KLEINBAUM/SAGAMORE STAFF)

The room fell to a comfortable silence as Note-a-fy, the high school’s longest-running a cappella group, took the stage. They mixed together beatboxing and melodic singing in a way I couldn’t have imagined would sound so good. As they transitioned into their third song, freshman Audrey Navarrete stepped forward and began something between singing and rapping, with words sliding together smoothly in an awesome feat.

A cappella was far from the only thing Revisions had to offer, with sophomore Sora Egozy playing the piano. Egozy’s hands seemed to dance across the keyboard from one end to the other, sometimes on opposite ends at once. The melody was bittersweet and conjured up feelings of conflict as the music contradicted itself. To say this performance was impressive would be an understatement.

As Egozy strode back behind the curtain, the stage returned to darkness and Oscar Peterson’s “Satin Doll” played from the speakers. Freshman Lil Kucklewicz came spinning from the back corner of the stage and began tap dancing as the crowd muttered and applauded. Kucklewicz’s synchronization of claps, taps, dance and engagement with the audience was something I’d be impressed to see from a senior, even more so from a freshman.

Interspersed throughout the show were short, improvised skits from Needs Improvement, the school’s improvised theater group. Touching on a wide array of topics stretching from best friends betraying one another to pasta, the skits certainly lightened the mood and made me laugh.

Junior John Watson sprawls on the floor, pretending to be a piece of spaghetti, in one of Needs Improvement’s skits. (EZRA KLEINBAUM/SAGAMORE STAFF)

Other performers danced in pairs or in large groups. The school’s K-pop dance club, “Popcorn,” performed to the song “Hot” by Seventeen, finishing their act with everyone on stage striking a pose. In a solo act, junior Andie Cohen sang a beautiful rendition of “Duvet” by Boa.

After Cohen left the stage, Perfect Pitch, another one of the school’s a cappella groups, stepped up, standing in an open circle facing the audience. The microphone was passed around the group as one or two students at a time stepped up to sing the main vocals, everyone else maintaining a chorus of wordless song in the background. It was a stunning show of synchronization and unity that left me applauding until my hands hurt.

When the audience finally quieted down, junior Sean O’Halloran took the stage to perform an original song titled “Voicemail,” ukulele in hand. The lyrics were complex and emotional, the melody simple, yet beautiful and entrancing. To be honest, I was so absorbed by the music I got lost in it for a solid few minutes.

As O’Halloran shed his hoodie and put down his ukulele, juniors Kiran Jagaroo and Amare Jackson joined O’Halloran on stage with drums and an electric guitar. As they began to play, I found myself whooping almost involuntarily. The drums, vocals and guitar came together in just the right way that makes one want to get up and jump.

The show as a whole was an incredible display of the many diverse and impressive talents students have, which I often forget exist. To me, this show was a reminder of how cool the community I live in is, and how amazing the people who live in it are.