Use of Native Names in Brookline

December 14, 2022

The Improved Order of Red Men, the oldest fraternal organization in America, founded its Brookline chapter, or “tribe,” in 1889. The group, which appropriated Indigenous words such as “Sagamore” to title its members, employed Charles A.W. Spencer as the Assistant Chief of Records. His son, Arthur Spencer, became the first editor-in-chief of The Sagamore.

The use of Indigenous words as titles within Brookline is not uncommon, as Brookline Today previously found that the Brookline street names Tappan, Cataumet and Hackensack are of native origins.

Felina Silver Robinson, a Native American town resident, Town Meeting Member and Chair of the Indigenous Peoples Day Committee said she was appalled to learn more about Brookline’s darker past.

“I was very angry because I always feel cheated out of things. I feel hurt about a lot of things, but I feel like our people have been enslaved and no one acknowledges that. They didn’t even want to put that in the acknowledgement. They were trying to say that that didn’t mean anything, that that didn’t matter. But it did,” Robinson said.

Brown said despite recent attempts, more needs to be done to atone for and recognize the past.

“I don’t know what should be done in Brookline, but I know it’s more than a Native American Day or renaming Columbus Day,” Brown said. “And it’s more than the land acknowledgement. And it’s more than my land acknowledgment every time I lead a walk, or give a talk.”