Importance of community

January 5, 2023

Community plays a vital role in keeping local businesses successful and in turn, local businesses are a central component of Brookline’s community. By supporting local businesses, residents help to create a vibrant and thriving community.

According to Miller, small businesses’ connection with their customers and communities sets them apart.

“In Brookline, relationships matter. In these small businesses, the people who work there and own these businesses understand what their customers want and care about those needs. People respond to that. You can’t order that feeling online, and that’s what makes the difference,” Miller said.

Wen said the Booksmith is far more than a bookstore; it is a space where people can go to pursue a variety of meaningful activities.

“Whether it is providing books, inviting authors to speak about their books, or selling the merchandise we sell, I believe the Booksmith is a community space,” Wen said. “Local businesses provide a gathering place for their community, and I believe Brookline Booksmith has done that.”

According to Party Favors employee and senior at the high school Vi Lee, the store’s longevity gives community members the opportunity to enjoy its offerings over many decades of life.

“Everyone has gone to Party Favors at some point and ordered a cake for a special occasion. It’s definitely quite well-known, and it’s a multi-generational experience for most families,” Lee said. “People will order wedding cakes and then come back years later to order their child’s birthday cake.”

During the 1980s, there were plans for the Coolidge Corner Theatre to be redeveloped and turned into a furniture store. Gilligan said the community’s response highlighted the immense importance of the theatre.

“That was a moment when the community really stepped up at one point. They even formed a human chain around the building to try to keep it open and keep it alive. There was a deep history and deep loyalty within the community,” Gilligan said.

Amidst busy days, town residents can turn to small businesses as safe havens. According to Gozashti, the Booksmith provides many with a warm space to spend their free time.

“We are a community anchor, and many people call the Booksmith their oasis, sanctuary, or happy place,” Gozashti said. “We’re a hub and cultural center and a place for one-stop gift shopping. I believe that [Brookline Booksmith] is the cultural beacon for the community of Brookline.”

According to Hamilton, people’s willingness to support local businesses over larger corporations is fundamental to sustaining the presence and prosperity of small businesses in the town. Hamilton said Brookline residents see the value that local businesses have.

“People in Brookline greatly appreciate quality and will even spend extra for the quality they find at those establishments,” Hamilton said. “People want an experience, and I believe that these local businesses have found a way to make their businesses not only about delivering products to consumers but also delivering an experience.”

Gilligan said her staff appreciates the role the community plays in their businesses and looks to give back to Brookline.

“We love our location. We love Brookline,” Gilligan said. “We love our community and are so grateful. Because we wouldn’t be here without their support, whether it was in 1989 when things were looking really dicey or the pandemic and so we are so grateful that people continue to recognize the role we play and to support us.”