Massachusetts state seal

January 11, 2023

In May 2022, the Special Commission Relative to the State Seal and Motto of the Commonwealth, tasked with reevaluating the Massachusetts state seal, voted unanimously in favor of changing it. This means that for the first time since 1898, the state will have a brand new symbol.

The current seal depicts a Native American standing under an arm wielding a sword, along with the Latin phrase: “By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.”

The Massachusetts flag depicts the current state seal, which will also be changed upon the creation of the new seal.(PUBLIC DOMAIN)

According to Executive Director of Mass Humanities and co-chair of the special committee Brian Boyles, initiatives to change the state seal from Indigenous people and other people of color have been persistent for over 40 years.

Boyles said the changing of the seal also means changing the Latin phrase, as it represents a colonialist message.

“The Latin phrase is opaque and not something that is inclusive at a deeper level. I think the idea that liberty and the sword go hand in hand feels like a celebration of violence that was committed against Indigenous people,” Boyles said.

The goal was for the special committee to be composed of an even number of Indigenous non-Indigenous members. Boyles said this was an important element of the commission and its ability to fulfill its role.

“One thing that is really, really important is having that kind of equitable format. I think it’s also clear that people are individuals and they have their own perspectives. Neither side was a monolith,” Boyles said.

Boyles said the decision to change the seal was not clear-cut, as many layers of history and different perspectives were considered.

“Getting to a place where it wasn’t simply, ‘There are two sides of this issue,’ but a real acknowledgement that there are centuries of harm reflected in the seal was not as easy as it might [seem]. Also, different Indigenous members have different views on what should be changed,” Boyles said. “A really important question that we didn’t fully resolve is: by changing [the seal], are you repeating the erasure of Indigenous people that has happened in [other cases in] Massachusetts?”

Boyles said he feels that initiatives such as these are important in reconciling with the country’s history of forceful Indigenous assimilation and oppression.

“I feel that as a white male, I should be doing work and not just sitting on a commission. So, I did raise my hand if they needed leadership, and I’ve learned a lot in that process,” Boyles said. “I don’t regret trying to do whatever I can to take responsibility for the past.”