Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! more “Mamma Mia!”

Mamma+Mia%21+featured+many+outstanding+singers+and+dynamic+costumes+and+lighting%2C+resulting+in+a+professional-seeming+performance.+

ANYA RAO/STAFF MEMBER

“Mamma Mia!” featured many outstanding singers and dynamic costumes and lighting, resulting in a professional-seeming performance.

“The best things in life, the very best things, happen unexpectedly,” Donna famously says in “Mamma Mia!” Though we went in with high expectations, we couldn’t have predicted just how good the Performing Arts Department’s rendition of “Mamma Mia!” would be.

From Feb. 1 to Feb. 4, audiences had a chance to enjoy the near-professional jukebox musical “Mamma Mia!.” The Performing Arts Department’s rendition was more seamless and well-executed than any production we have watched in our COVID-19-scarred four years at the high school. If that’s not enough, our section of the auditorium was full of smiles, laughter and praise.

The 1999 musical “Mamma Mia!,” which inspired the 2008 hit movie, revolves around Donna, a hotelier in Greece, preparing for her daughter Sophie’s wedding. Sophie secretly invites three men from her mother’s past in the hopes of finding out which is her real father and having him walk her down the aisle. The plot is based on songs by the Swedish band “ABBA.”

The musical numbers were a fun boost of nostalgia for audience members, but in our eyes, they also served a greater purpose. In “Mamma Mia!,” all of the songs seemed to push the plot along much further than the dialogue.

Instead of our normal experiences at a show, where oftentimes in our head we might think, “not another song,” we found ourselves looking forward to each song, especially because of the dynamic, complex choreography. Many of the actors performed impressive tricks, including junior John Watson, who jumped into a full split, and freshman Abby O’Halloran, who did a back handspring in “Voulez-Vous.”

The script, though, was oftentimes slow-paced. It was expositional in nature and did not help to develop the characters, rather seeming to take them along for the ride of the plot. This was not to the specific fault of this production, seeing as this is characteristic of the original “Mamma Mia!.”

This production felt high-grade and professional. The biggest contributor to this was the choreography, as each number displayed an ensemble that had the skills to keep up with the leads and help build the little world inside of Hotel Bella Donna. This ensemble and choreography shined in the unique number “Money Money Money,” with its out-of-the-box choreography and great costumes. Each ensemble member was dressed in a suit and carried innovative briefcase props that lit up green when opened.

Every lead could sing. And not just a few pretty vocals, but they could really lay it on the pipes. Speaking of impeccable singing, Sophie (junior Marie-Amelie Radebaugh) was easily the standout performer for Act I. Every time Radebaugh sang, we looked at each other and just with our eyes communicated “Wow.” Her beautiful vocals combined with her riveting acting made her the perfect lead.

Act I also saw a commanding performance from the extravagant Tanya (junior Penny Waldron). Each time she took the stage, it was impossible to take your eyes off of her flair.

Director Elena Maimonis said this innate, individual talent was something she wanted to channel for this production.

“Sometimes it’s easy to come in and want to micromanage everything, but honestly giving [the actors] the foundation and the moves and then letting them put their own spin on it and allowing them to have more freedom on stage has been really great, not only for their growth and learning but it also makes the show feel more natural and realistic,” Maimonis said.

The star of Act II was undoubtedly Donna (junior Christa Washburn). They were able to display a wide range of emotions, from a stressed mother preparing to “give her daughter away,” to a woman struggling to find love for herself. Their standout moment was the number “The Winner Takes It All,” in which they showed off their incredible vocal range, garnering a slew of cheers from the audience, especially as they held their final notes for an unbelievable amount of time.

Across the board, the cast had incredible chemistry. There were no points in which things felt awkward or forced, and all of the actors seemed to communicate naturally as their characters.

Sophomore Sasho Eash, who played Sophie’s fianceé Sky, said he really bonded with the cast, despite his initial uncertainty.

“Honestly, I was a little bit scared at first because the theater community is not really the first community I would associate with. But through time, I noticed that I started to make a lot of new friends and meet a lot of new people, and now it’s one of my favorite things to do after school,” Eash said.

The humor in the show relied on sexual innuendos, and given the fact that the crowd at the Saturday matinee show was mostly parents, it fell flat at times. But, Bill Austin (senior Gareth Jones) always brought a smile to everyone’s face with his flamboyant personality and corny jokes.

The set was impressive, with intricate hand-painted flower designs covering the walls, and they made great use of lighting (and a real live disco ball!)—especially in the number “S.O.S.” with vibrant, colorful lights.

Senior Olivia Sheehan said “Mamma Mia!” brought a smile to her face, both through the lighthearted nature of the play and its great execution.

“I thought it was a celebratory performance that engaged the audience in a fun experience. I was particularly impressed by the complex choreography throughout the show,” Sheehan said.

So, if you didn’t see “Mamma Mia!,” you missed out big-time. To us, this production redefined what a high school musical has the potential to be. As we left the auditorium, we were disheartened to know the production was ending, because Mamma Mia!; we wanted to go again.