Glee Club: a harmonious mix of individual voices

The+high+schools+Glee+Club+provides+a+space+for+students+to+come+together%2C+rehearse+self-arranged+songs+and+perform.+

CONTRIBUTED BY KATYA SACHAROW

The high school’s Glee Club provides a space for students to come together, rehearse self-arranged songs and perform.

Every Sunday, as students from around the high school gather to learn arrangements and sing together, the laughs and smiles that echo across the room ring true to their club’s name: Glee.

Glee Club is a co-ed singing group whose auditions are open to all students at the high school. Its co-presidents are junior Benji Kaufman, junior Clara Van de Velde and senior Katya Sacharow. Glee Club was founded by senior Brad Wolf and junior Livvy Hartshorn in 2019 with a goal of singing musical theater songs, according to Michael Driscoll, the faculty advisor of Glee Club. Over time, the club has evolved to embrace a variety of singing styles, such as pop and folk. Unlike Perfect Pitch and Note-a-fy whom they often perform alongside, Glee Club is not an a cappella group. They have performed songs accompanied by the piano and other various instruments. They are also the first co-ed, student-run singing group that has stuck around at the high school.

The co-presidents of Glee Club typically arrange different songs for the group to perform. This year, these have included, “Talking to the Moon” by Bruno Mars, “Impossible” by Shontelle and “Some Nights” by fun. Sacharow said that watching the group perform pieces that she arranged is very fulfilling.

“I just love performing, so it’s a lot of fun to make our own arrangements and then see it come to life at a performance,” Sacharow said. “If I spend so long arranging a song, it’s really rewarding to have everyone learn it and then perform it together.”

Glee Club performs at many different events such as Valentunes, Acapellafest and the Spring Show. Recently, some members were able to perform at a nursing home. Sacharow said that she loved meeting the residents of the nursing home and performing for them.

“One of them was talking about how she directed a choir in New York and she loves hearing people sing,” Sacharow said. “It was really sweet for us to be able to sing for them.”

Glee Club is primarily a self-run club. Sophia Sharooz, a junior and member of Glee Club, said that the democratic style of the club allows students to voice their opinions and be heard.

“It feels very much like a democracy,” Shahrooz said. “We vote who gets which solo, we’re in charge of which events we want to go to.”

Prior to joining Glee Club, Kaufman said that he had never had the experience of being in a smaller singing group. Compared to larger choirs, he finds that being part of a smaller group means he can take on a larger role.

“Every person in the club has a bigger impact on the product,” Kaufman said.

Kaufman also said that Glee Club has a perfectly balanced environment during rehearsals.

“It feels honestly like sometimes we are just hanging out at someone’s house and also singing,” Kaufman said. “We’re able to focus and also able to relax and have fun.”

Sacharow said that through a shared passion of music, Glee Club brings students from around the high school together.

“Glee Club is a really good excuse to bring a lot of people together from different groups in the school, who wouldn’t necessarily be friends or know each other, to sing together,” Sacharow said.

Similarly, Shahrooz said that she appreciates that atmosphere that Glee Club offers, as well as the talent of the group.

“I’m just grateful to be part of a group that’s so welcoming. Everyone is very friendly and supportive,” Sacharow said. “People are very talented, too. I feel like I’m learning a lot just from being there.”

Although this club offers a space for gifted singers to perform together, Driscoll said that this club means much more than that.

“I think it’s for people who enjoy singing, but it’s more than just singing. A lot of the people in there become friends,” Driscoll said. “It’s more than just music. It’s getting to know people.”