Acappellafest performers sing their way into spring

GEO ELASMAR/CYPRESS STAFF

On Mar. 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Tappan Gymnasium, four student a cappella groups performed at Acappellafest.

With the lights slowly dimming and the spotlight illuminating the stage, an a cappella group gathers in front of the audience, standing in a crescent moon formation around its soloist. As the beatboxing commences, magical sounds echo around the room.

On Friday, March 10 and Saturday, March 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Tappan Gymnasium, four talented high school a cappella groups took the stage for Acappellafest: two nights of sensational sounds and heavenly harmonies. Sandwiched between the a cappella sets was the high school’s hilarious improv group, Needs Improvment, whose quick wit and clever jokes had the audience roaring with laughter.

Kicking off the night’s performances was Note-a-fy. Dressed in brown and white coordinated attire, they performed four songs, ranging from Coldplay’s ethereal “Hymn for the Weekend” to the fierce “Bills, Bills, Bills” by Destiny’s Child.

For me, their intricate take on “Bellyache” by Billie Eilish truly stole the show. The song’s opening harmony was a warm, inviting thing of beauty, which was later repeated throughout the pre-chorus. When soloist and senior Lina Chang entered with high, angelic, Eilish-like vocals to deliver the chorus, my jaw dropped to the floor. Needless to say, Note-a-fy’s performance was nothing short of spectacular.

The Glee Club sang next, sporting flannels and jeans. (Shout-out to the few overlapping Note-a-fy vocalists who had to quick-change from their previous outfits in a matter of seconds.) The club’s performance consisted of three songs: the traditional folk song “Down in the River to Pray” came first, followed by the lively, indie pop song “Reflections” and ending with the 2012 pop hit “Some Nights.”

The rich complexity of a cappella was beautifully captured in Glee Club’s version of “Reflections,” and accentuated by the distinct solos of freshman Audrey Navarrete’s powerful, expressive vocals, the mellifluous, high-pitched notes of junior Sophia Shahrooz and junior Benji Kaufman’s smooth, impassioned voice.

Another a cappella group to perform was Perfect Pitch, adorned in effortlessly cool, matching jeans and leather jackets. They performed a medley of hits, including the iconic “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” by Eurythmics, the upbeat anthem “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson and “Sweater Weather” by The Neighbourhood—a personal favorite of mine. Their smooth, jazzy rendition of “Sweater Weather” may have surpassed the original, and the vocal prowess of its soloists, seniors Chloe Locke and Yael Sheffer, was simply majestic.

The grand finale of the night was presented by the high school’s A Cappella Choir under the skilled guidance of Michael Driscoll. With their classically-infused performance style, they brought a touch of elegance and sophistication to the stage, setting them apart from the three previous a cappella groups.

Among the A Cappella Choir’s four songs, it was the timeless classic “California Dreamin’” that took my breath away. Its beautifully executed solos by sophomores Ivy Bass and Hannah Carrick were remarkable.

In between musical performances, Needs Improvment played two improvisational games, both of which quickly spiraled into hysterical chaos. In the first game, junior Griffin Schroeder and senior Hazem Algendy acted out a scene about a grandfather and grandson stuck in an elevator. Soon, the scene turned into one of embezzlement and police. In their final game, Needs Improvment members formed entertaining original songs with a Canadian theme, and I could not stop laughing.

Overall, Acappellafest was a night of pure joy and excitement, a celebration of the power of music and the human voice. The high school’s a cappella groups and improv performers truly brought their A-game, leaving me inspired, uplifted and wholeheartedly impressed.