Camille Jordan’s running career to continue at UPenn

CONTRIBUTED BY JOHN WERNER

Senior Camille Jordan, who has been running since she was in sixth grade, said the sport has taught her how to stay focused over the years.

Through senior Camille Jordan’s athletic career, she has learned how essential it is to give and receive support and how vital that is to success.

Jordan was the first female athlete at the high school to break 5 minutes in the mile last June with a time of 4:57.3 at New Balance Nationals Outdoor. This season, she won fourth at states.

Jordan, who began running cross country in 6th grade, said she was initially inspired by her parents. Her parents both ran track when they were younger, and her dad, whose track career continued into college, coaches the sport at Milton High School. However, ultimately, it’s been Jordan’s personal tenacity and unflagging supporters who have contributed most to her success.

Junior and cross country runner Dasha LeFaivre said that she has known Jordan since her freshman year and that Jordan puts a great deal of effort into the sport.

“She is really hard-working; one of the most hard-working people I know. She never takes shortcuts in workouts, she always gets it done and does it well. She works so hard, she pushes herself every day,” LeFaivre said.

Jordan said her diligence and perseverance in school and on the track has taught her a lot about working hard and staying focused over the years.

“One thing that playing a sport teaches you is how to have discipline and also how to know your strengths and weaknesses: academically and athletically,” Jordan said. “I’ve learned how to manage my time and how to take time for myself throughout the day but also know when I need to do work.”

Jordan said she values the support from those around her, particularly her coaches and parents. She said her varsity team is one of her biggest sources of support, and her teammates’ encouragement is what creates a bond and environment that she really appreciates.

“On all of our runs, we talk about school or about life. We do understand each other, not only as runners, but also as people, which I think is really great. In cross country specifically, we all have to run the same race, and we are doing it together,” Jordan said. “I think that also helps with bringing the team together, because we are all going on the same routes together.”

LeFaivre said it’s Jordan who supports the team, making sure everyone feels welcome in the fun but competitive environment.

“She’s really motivating. If you are ever struggling, she’ll be the person to help you and make sure you get through the workout and push yourself,” LeFaivre said.

The pair began running together freshman year and LeFaivre said that Jordan remained a pillar of friendship and emotional reinforcement through their time on the same team.

“Ever since I met her, she’s always been so sweet and so kind to me, and so welcoming. Freshman year, and especially last year, she really made me feel like a part of the team and really helped me join and feel welcomed,” LeFaivre said.

Jordan’s coach Mike DeYoung said that Jordan is very influential in her role as captain. DeYoung said that under her leadership, she inspires her fellow teammates to mimic her continuous effort on the team.

“She sets the tone for the work ethic and effort at practice, remaining positive and remaining supportive,” DeYoung said.

DeYoung said that he has known Jordan since she was a freshman, and has watched her grow from a great runner into an outstanding one.

All of Jordan’s hard work and accomplishments have resulted in her committing to University of Pennsylvania (UPenn). Jordan said she had many reasons that made her decide to commit to UPenn, but that there was one aspect that really shone through.

“When I met the team, it reminded me a lot of the team here. When I was going through the college process, I knew that I wanted a team that was similar to the one that I am on now, because I just really love my current team,” Jordan said. “I also wanted a coach who I knew would support me as a student and as an athlete, and that’s what I felt like I found at UPenn”

Although Jordan said she is excited for her move to Pennsylvania, Jordan said she has a lot to look forward to in her senior year.

“I’m looking forward to cherishing all the moments with my teammates, and seeing personal progress and being able to go to nationals again,” Jordan said.