MSCAN leads charge against Willow Project

Massachusetts+Schools+Climate+Action+Network+%28MSCAN%29%2C+held+a+virtual+meeting+with+high+school+students+from+across+the+state+to+discuss+potential+solutions+to+combat+the+imminent+environmental+harm+from+the+Willow+Project.+

SURYA JAYASHANKAR/CYPRESS STAFF

Massachusetts Schools Climate Action Network (MSCAN), held a virtual meeting with high school students from across the state to discuss potential solutions to combat the imminent environmental harm from the Willow Project.

The Biden administration approved the Willow Project, an oil drilling initiative in Alaska, on March 13, provoking strong opposition from climate activists across the country for the detrimental impacts it will have on the environment.

The day of the approval, the Massachusetts Schools Climate Action Network (MSCAN), held a virtual meeting with high school students from across the state to discuss potential solutions to combat the imminent environmental harm from the Willow Project.

MSCAN members considered creating their own lobbying campaign for the Biden Administration and ConocoPhillips, the oil company leading the Willow Project, by identifying key stakeholders who were involved in deciding the project’s final verdict. They planned to pressure them by setting up meetings and organizing phone and email campaigns in order to try to reverse approval.

Another option the group discussed was to participate in Day on the Hill, an event that allows Massachusetts students to speak with their state representatives, be proactive and prevent future initiatives that may damage the environment.

Planning for the scenario in which the project goes through, Mount Greylock Regional High School student and MSCAN member Celina Savage advocated for the club aiding to minimize the environmental impact of the project.

“Let’s say the Willow Project is inevitable and we can’t really do much to fix it; what are ways that we can benefit the environment, even if it’s a little bit, in that area to minimize the damage? I think we should definitely spend more of our efforts to see if there are any ways to help Alaska,” Savage said. “However, I also think we can make sure if the Willow Project is actually kept, it won’t be as environmentally damaging as it is now.”

North Redding High School student and MSCAN member Emma Galbraith suggested obtaining a better understanding of the other side’s point of view and offering counter suggestions that would be more climate-friendly.

“A lot of people are saying that the Willow Project would benefit the Alaskan economy, even some Native American tribes and communities are saying that it will economically benefit them. So what if, since we’re trying to persuade lawmakers and the public about why this is bad, we can also research alternative ways to boost the Alaskan economy without harming the environment,” Galbraith said. “That obviously wouldn’t sway the oil companies, who are only going to get money if they drill oil, but I think it’ll help get more public backing within Alaska.”

Marblehead High School student and MSCAN member Summer Genovese proposed addressing companies associated with ConocoPhillips in order to come at the issue from multiple angles, such as taking a look at harmful products from these companies.

“I have a list of organizations that are associated with [ConocoPhillips] which could be good. Also, attacking other things related to it would be helpful,” Genovese said. “As a consumer, I’d say figuring out where those products come into your life and trying to eliminate putting your money towards those companies is a good idea.”

Sophomore at the high school Suvi Carlile said MSCAN members can mitigate some of the Willow Project’s adverse effects on the environment by informing people in their own lives about the dangers of climate change.

“Educating people is important, especially since the Willow Project will produce so many greenhouse gasses and so much pollution will be put into the atmosphere,” Carlile said. “Compensating for this is important now, so we can really educate people on what they can do to reduce their carbon footprint and what they can do to help.”

To learn more and become involved with the work MSCAN is doing, check out their website, https://www.massclimateaction.org.