Cesar Morales’ passion for fencing translates in coaching

Cesar Morales has been the head coach of fencing at the high school since the program started in 2006. Morales’s passion for fencing started at a young age while growing up in Cuba. By the time he was 10 years old, he was a national competitor.

CONTRIBUTED BY MARIE DI FABBRIZIO

From being a national competitor for Cuba to leading past high school fencing teams to state championships, Cesar Morales has always considered the sport of cage masks and battling swords to be a huge part of his identity.

Morales has been the head coach of fencing at the high school since the program started in 2006. However, he’s been a coach since 1991, having coached numerous other fencing teams including at Needham High School, Brandeis University and the International Fencing Club, Morales’s club in West Roxbury.

Morales’s passion for fencing started at a young age while growing up in Cuba. Morales fenced at school, training two to three times a day. By the time he was 10 years old, he was a national competitor. According to Morales, he was part of the group of the top five fencers from every state in national events for many years.

In 1991, Morales had to stop fencing when he was forced to join the army, which was mandatory at the time in Cuba. Shortly after, he came to the United States at 22 years old and sought out a position as an engineer. According to Morales, the position wasn’t available, so he became a fencing coach.

Growing up, Morales admired great Cuban Olympic fencers in the 1970s, and said that they inspired him to work hard and pursue his passion further.

“I was a really small kid, I didn’t think I could do anything. But fencing taught me that you can accomplish whatever you want if you work hard,” Morales said.

Morales has additionally coached people who have become champions of the South American Games and Central American Games.

According to Morales, the one consistent thing that has helped make these big accomplishments achievable is hard work. According to student athlete and senior Joel Brook, this mentality is also reflected in Morales’ coaching methods.

“I would say a big lesson I’ve learned would be the importance of repeating things and hard work. I can see myself improving, and I’ve watched myself grow,” Brook said. “From being taught how to fence, to becoming a fencing captain, it proves that if you want to improve on something, you have got to keep on going.”

Brook said he respects Morales’ coaching methods, most especially his bluntness when it comes to teaching. Brook said he likes that Morales doesn’t sugarcoat things to get athletes where they want to be faster.

Sophomore Maria DiFabbrizio said that Morales has taught her to keep pushing herself through practice.

“He can be intense, but honestly, he just wants what’s best for you. I love how he pushes me personally, because I’ve noticed improvements very rapidly after I joined his club,” DiFabbrizio said.

On a more individual level, outside of fencing, Morales’ coaching strategies have helped students like DiFabbrizio build their confidence.

“Last year, I was a little more shy, and this year I’m still a little reserved, but at least I’m a bit more outgoing and forward with my opinions. Fencing taught me to be more sure of myself,” DiFabbrizio said.

According to Morales, focusing on your dreams can make them more attainable. In 2010, when he opened the International Fencing Club of Boston, he started out with 70 students. Today, including the loss of students due to COVID-19, there are about 85 students.

“When you work hard, you can accomplish any goal that you set,” Morales said. “It’s really easy to give up on things. But you have to be able to work through that, and go to that goal that you set for yourself.”