High School Recreational League Bounces Back

Recreational+Basketball+resumes+after+COVID-19.+

FLANNERY POON/CYPRESS STAFF

Recreational Basketball resumes after COVID-19.

Often, when people think of high school athletics, they think of competition and a strong pressure to perform. The High School Recreation League is different in that there can still be competition and pressure, but there is a greater focus on community and fun. That was until COVID-19 forced the program to shut down. This year, the league is returning to the court after taking a three-year pause during the pandemic.

Program coordinator Jake Aldrich said that it’s been a struggle restarting the program due to a lack of connections.

“I have no way, shape or form to contact high schoolers other than what I’m trying to do right now, which is just putting up flyers everywhere,” Aldrich said. “The next day, I find out that they’re all taken down. This is a battle that I’m in with the schools and I’m going to keep hanging them up.”

Aldrich said he believes that it is important to give student athletes more diverse opportunities to get involved in sports.

“The goal is to get as many high schoolers active and give them another opportunity to play sports. Recreation doesn’t really offer many programs for high schoolers, it’s just to give them an opportunity to get out, be active, play with friends and really make it a community event,” Aldrich said.

Community and connecting with the students are the most important parts of the program for Aldrich.

“I think it’s just awesome to see all the kids. I’ll be sitting in the office for three months putting this all together. But then the day of the league I get to go out and put my face on it and see everybody show up,” Aldrich said. “I get to see the joy from what you’ve been working on for three, four or five months. It just really impacts every single person and it’s a really good experience for everybody.”

Senior Jenna Lazowski does refereeing for intramural sports in younger grades in Brookline and says there’s value in having a place where kids are able to participate regardless of ability or prior experience.

“For a lot of people, if they don’t make a travel team they’ll be able to play rec. So that’s a good, nice resource to have for people that don’t make a team but are still able to play,” Lazowski said.

Junior Gabe Spagat referees for other age groups and said that the basketball program is an easier alternative for kids that want a more fun environment for sports.

“I think it’s a great way for people who don’t have the time every day after school to practice for hours to still play basketball in a competitive league and for fun,” Spagat said.