“Haunted Mansion” brings spooky fun to the summer

Haunted+Mansion+was+released+on+July+28%2C+2023%2C+featuring+a+fantastic+cast+and+stellar+comedy.+
GRAPHIC BY AIDAN WOELFEL
“Haunted Mansion” was released on July 28, 2023, featuring a fantastic cast and stellar comedy.

Get ready for some ghoulish fun because it’s finally time to enter the Mansion.

“Haunted Mansion,” a spooky comedy adaptation of the iconic Disney parks ride, was released on July 28, 2023. With delightful ghosts and ghouls, the movie is filled to the brim with eerie fun. Overall, while the excitement surrounding “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” makes it easy to miss, the terrific cast, stunning visuals and plenty of laughs of “Haunted Mansion” make it a gem that cannot be skipped.

The film follows Gabbie (Rosario Dawson) and her son Travis (Chase Dillon) moving into the Mansion, where they encounter the ghosts and learn they can’t leave without being stalked wherever they go. Trying to help, grieving genius Ben Matthias (LaKeith Stanfield) and Father Kent (Owen Wilson) find themselves in the same predicament before enlisting the support of psychic Harriet (Tiffany Haddish) and scholar Bruce Davis (Danny DeVito). The group then sets out to defeat the evil Hatbox Ghost (Jared Leto) in order to free themselves and the ghosts from the Mansion.

The film’s star-studded cast is the highlight. Each actor delivers a spectacular and memorable performance, executing their jokes perfectly and ensuring they all land. I found myself laughing constantly throughout, with a great many of these moments being supplied by Haddish and DeVito. While many characters had their moments to shine, these two icons are an incredible burst of comedic energy from the moment they enter. Simply put, this film is hilarious.

From the ghosts to the Mansion itself, the movie’s visuals are stellar. The ghosts’ appearances are remarkable, especially the Hatbox Ghost. Donning his signature top hat and cane, he is mesmerizing and haunting both when he is headless and when he is not. The dark, green lighting in outdoor scenes is also astonishing, contrasting beautifully against the light blue of the ghosts and lending the Mansion and its tree-lined pathway a looming, gloomy presence.

For fans of the ride, and I myself am one, there are plenty of recognizable faces and locations like the stretching room that show up throughout the film to enjoy. From the hitchhiking ghosts to Madame Leota, many of the phantoms from the ride make their appearance in the movie, although most are disappointingly little more than cameos. While it was not necessary to be familiar with any of them to enjoy, picking up on the references was yet another fantastic part of the movie.

Beneath all the fun and laughs, however, I was greatly surprised to find that at the film’s core is a serious theme about the grief of losing a loved one and finding a way to move forward. The film tackles this issue primarily through the characters of Ben and Travis, building depth and emotion while also making space for vulnerability. Its conclusion offers a clear message of hope for those in the same situation, allowing Ben and Travis to find some peace.

“Haunted Mansion” is a spectacular movie, filled with laughs and a surprising amount of emotion. I know this film will become an immediate Halloween staple for my family and I’m sure you will enjoy it.