“Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” stays “Timeless” and enchanting

GRAPHIC BY ANANDA SCOTT
“Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” came out on July. 7, 2023, 13 years after the original “Speak Now” and receiving a 13/13 stars.

Drop everything now, because Taylor Swift just released “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).”

Swift released “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version),” which is a re-recording of her 2010 album, “Speak Now,” on July 7, 2023. Since 2019, when Swift’s music catalog was sold to Scooter Braun, a record producer and talent manager, meaning Swift would no longer profit from or own her music, she has been re-recording her first six albums to have legal control over them once again. “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” is an extraordinary piece in Swift’s discography, covering the highs and lows of romantic crushes, heart wrenching break ups and everything in between.

The album opens with Swift singing “Mine (Taylor’s Version),” fitting now that the album really belongs to her. The song’s powerful guitar and drums mixed with Swift’s vocals lets listeners to dance and sing along to the catchy lyrics. In my opinion, Swift’s lyrics are the most important part of her songs. On Swift’s re-recordings, the lyrics are always exactly the same as the original records. However in “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)”, Swift made an exception.

In “Better than Revenge” Swift sings to her ex’s new girlfriend. While the track has a fast, peppy beat, the message is slightly flawed. Especially some of the lyrics: “She’s better known for the things that she does/On the mattress, whoa.” Many fans and critics alike have seen these lyrics as problematic and sexist. On “Better Than Revenge (Taylor’s Version),” Swift changed the lyrics to “He was a moth to the flame, she was holding the matches.” While not everyone supported this change, I think that it was necessary and shows that Swift has grown up, not only as an artist but as a woman. The change signifies that Swift is above taking down other women and is trying to support them instead.

The lyrics “someday I’ll be big enough so you can’t hit me” have never rung so true for Swift as they do now. On “Mean (Taylor’s Version),” Swift sings to her haters. I love the heavy use of banjo and fiddle, and the hopeful message it sends to listeners. “Mean” was my favorite song when I was little, as I loved the idea of growing up and leaving behind those who tried to hurt you.

In “Back to December (Taylor’s Version),” Swift takes accountability for a failed relationship. The song is so beautiful because it really encapsulates all of Swift’s guilt. You can hear it in her voice, even 13 years later. There is something so beautiful about the picture it paints: Longing, heartbreak, loss and regret. When I hear the opening chords of this song come on, a feeling of melancholy comes over me that can only be cured by singing along to the lyrics at the top of my lungs.

Before the release of “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version),” her Eras Tour only included one song from the album “Enchanted (Taylor’s Version).” It goes without saying that I’m enchanted by it. The power ballad swells with emotion and passion as it progresses, starting with an insecure, nervous girl looking around the room and ending with Swift hoping that the person she met that night loves her too.

While the majority of songs on “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” are about romantic relationships, there is one song about an even more important relationship: the one she has with her fans. “Long Live (Taylor’s Version)” is by far my favorite song on this album. Swift sings about crowds that went wild, lives that were changed and magic that was made. As a die hard Swiftie, I can confidently say that all of these things are true for me. When she sings “I had the time of my life with you,” it feels like she’s singing it straight to me.

Overall, I would give Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) 13/13 stars for being an amazing album that captured my heart back in 2010 and managed to do so once again in 2023.