Mimi Aspi steps in as new Info Time host

RAVIN BHATIA/CYPRESS STAFF
Every Monday morning, junior Mimi Aspi leads Info Time over the loudspeaker, during which she reports on recent school events.

It’s Monday; the early-morning chill in the air hits most students with the realization that their two-day respite from stress and work has concluded. Junior Mimi Aspi is no exception. Nevertheless, she walks with purpose towards the main entrance, a floral-patterned backpack slung across her right shoulder. Greeting the main office staff, she clutches a script in one hand and a phone in the other. She steadies herself, reading over her list of upcoming celebrations and holidays, sports victories and club announcements. And then, at precisely 8:17, “Good morning, Brookline High” floats over the loudspeaker.

Aspi was elected in June as the host of Info Time, a five-minute period during which announcements concerning developments at the high school are read. Her victory also ensured that she became an at-large member of the Student Council, per the Info Time Structure Bill of 2022, which officially established the position and its responsibilities.

According to 10th and 12th grade Dean of Students Summer Williams, who coordinates with Aspi weekly to prepare the announcements, the position dictates that its occupant, above all else, must be an informed member of the high school community.

“The Info Time host must have their finger on the pulse of what’s going on with our school community,” Williams said. “The host makes sure to have a wide representation of all school interests and works to succinctly and quickly convey lots of helpful information in a short period of time.”

As a component of her bid for Info Time Host, Aspi was required to submit a minute-long voice recording that was to be played during Advisory and listened to by the entirety of the student body. She said that although such a prospect initially seemed daunting, it turned out to be an outlet for self-expression.

“Of course, putting myself and my voice in front of the school was scary, especially because the instructions for submitting an application were so open-ended,” Aspi said. “Yet, the lack of restrictions or guidelines allowed me to express myself in whichever way I saw fit. I felt truly confident about my voice.”

Aspi said that any nerves she had dissipated at the thought of the platform being used as a vehicle to address the concerns and interests of the student body.

“In an environment as large as the high school, it is so easy for students’ accomplishments or events in the community to be overlooked. I sought to apply to become the host of Info Time because I wanted to shine a spotlight on all of these. Doing so, I feel, could unify and strengthen the community at the high school,” Aspi said.

Aspi’s announcements complement regularly posted updates on Canvas. Social Studies Curriculum Coordinator and Student Government Liaison Jen Martin said the position of Info Time Host enlivens these updates.

“I think [having a student reading] humanizes the announcements, and it provides a different way for students to access them,” Martin said. “After all, this job is all about empowering students to know what is going on in their community.”

Aspi said representation of the student body is the most critical aspect of her role.

“At times, the position can feel somewhat limited in its impact, and I’m unsure whether students are listening to what’s being played over the loudspeakers,” Aspi said. “But, my mission will always remain the same: to make all students feel heard equally and thoughtfully. That’s what this is all about.”