Girls varsity volleyball triumphed 3-2 over the Wellesley Raiders

The girls varsity volleyball team went up against the Wellesley Raiders on Thursday, October 19 in the Schluntz Gymnasium. After a close game the Warriors won 3 sets to 2.

The girl’s varsity volleyball team triumphed 3-2 over the Wellesley Raiders on Thursday, Oct. 19 in the Schluntz Gymnasium, marking their ninth win of the season.

The Warriors came out strong in the first set, winning 25-22. Despite this initial success, the second set was much more intense. Points became longer, eventually resulting in a 25-23 Raiders win tying the sets at 1-1.

According to junior and rightside hitter Laurel Zahka, there were various factors that resulted in the second set loss.

“We were all tired and we were struggling with serving. The misserves got to us, making it really hard to refocus,” Zahka said.

Girls varsity coach Caitlin Sobolewski said that there was a lack of concentration and intensity until the third set.

“We realized that Wellesley was playing below their normal level, so we let off our momentum. I think after the third set, we realized ‘we might actually lose, we need to lock in,’” Sobolewski said.

The fourth set saw the Warriors play with a newfound determination. Their dominant blocks, kills, digs and serve receives resulted in a 25-21 win.

With the score tied at two sets a piece, the stakes were high to perform in the fifth set, though the Warriors once again outplayed the Raiders with their better technique, taking the set 15-11 and winning the game.

According to Zahka, the team knew what they needed to do to win.

“Near the end it was clear that we wanted to win, so going into the fifth set we knew we just needed the mindset of ‘we know we’re tired, but we need to bring everything we have, all the cheering, all the stops, and just focus on every point’,” Zahka said.

Sobolewski said that the Warriors have progressed this season and have fought through multiple five-set games.

“This is the third five-set game that we’ve won, which is not an easy thing to do in volleyball,” Sobolewski said. “You have to have the grit to close out a game, and the belief that your team is good enough to rise up and win.”