College visits debut new format

MIRTA CERAJ/CYPRESS STAFF
A Northwestern University representative speaks to interested seniors in a crowded MLK Room. From September to November, college representatives advertised their respective institutions to interested seniors, in an in-person format for the first time in years.

Students crowd together in a room, scribbling down notes on everything the representatives say. Hanging on to every last word, they hope to figure out which is the college of their dreams.

College and guidance counselor Lenny Libenzon singlehandedly organizes the representatives’ visits. Starting this year, college visits have been in person during school hours, contrary to how they were during the pandemic.

College visits allow students to meet a representative from a college they are interested in. They begin around the third week in September and end on Nov. 9. They occur almost every block and there’s a different college that comes each week. Libenzon said he posts them all on Naviance and on Canvas. Students sign up, have their teachers sign a permission slip and then show up.

Libenzon modified the format of the visits this year; whereas they were virtual and took place after school in the past, they are now in-person and during the school day. He said this provides students with the opportunity to have individual conversations with the college representatives.

“It’s a really great opportunity to showcase your personality and learn more about the college,” Libenzon said.

Senior Violet O’Shea, who has attended three college visits, prefers the newer structure. She said it is better for meeting the college representatives and for accommodating people’s busy schedules.

“It’s nice that it’s in school; if people have practice or anything after school, then they don’t have to worry about missing that,” O’Shea said. “It’s always nice to talk to someone face-to-face.”

Senior Saira Chander, who has been to six college visits, appreciates the in-person connection she gets with the college representative but doesn’t like that they take place during school hours.

“It’s a little bit hard to have it during school because I’ve had to miss quite a few classes. I think [having them] before school would be the best time,” Chander said.

Libenzon said he understands that it might be difficult for some students to get out of class and stressed the importance of school to seniors: the visits should not come above important work.

“Colleges look at grades, so it’s not a good idea to skip class if you have a test or important presentation,” Libenzon said. “[In that case], it’s more important to go to class.”

Although the format has been changed, O’Shea said the visits are a very informative tool to assist seniors in figuring out where they want to go.

“They’re helpful because you get a feel for the college and it’s nice to talk to the person who will look at your application,” O’Shea said.

Meeting with college representatives is a useful resource that many high schools don’t offer. Libenzon thinks seniors should try to utilize them while making decisions about colleges.

“It’s a great opportunity to talk to someone who is going to make decisions about you,” Libenzon said. “It’s such a unique experience.”